TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

65" Tv Buyer, torn on purchase. Seek advice

I'm in the market to upgrade my current TV.
I have a 7 year old Samsung 46" LCD flat screen. I am looking to go up to 65 inch.

Budget ------ $1000-$2500
Seating distance ------ 12ft-13ft
Size/placement limitations ------ Mount on brick wall, currently have 46 inch want to go bigger (60-65")
Uses and sources ------ Xbox One, Dish TV, Netflix
Room lighting ------ Moderate light, have curtains to make room dark.

So, I've had my eyes on a Sony XBR65X850A. This is a 65", size I want, and it's 4K so it is future proof as I plan on having this new TV for at least 5 years or so.

Is this TV the best bang for the buck on the market right now for what I am looking for?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 65" Tv Buyer, torn on purchase. Seek advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 65" Tv Buyer, torn on purchase. Seek advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The thing is, 4K is still early.

In reply to: 65" Tv Buyer, torn on purchase. Seek advice

Collapse -
The other thing.

In reply to: The thing is, 4K is still early.

Shame on makers with paltry 1 year warranties.

Collapse -
The Smart TV thing.

In reply to: The thing is, 4K is still early.

Sam has this bizarre requirement the TV must check into their services before you can use apps. This has bit them back too many times. I'd never buy these for the Smart features.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
best bang for the buck?

In reply to: 65" Tv Buyer, torn on purchase. Seek advice

That would tough to say. This is just my preference, I don't like active 3D and I like 2D to 3D conversion...I think it would be ideal for 4K tv. I don't remember if this Sony has 4K upconversion or not.

Collapse -
Thanks. Clarification

In reply to: best bang for the buck?

Well, I am also looking at either a Samsung (not sure what model yet) or this Sony KDL-65W850B which is about $800 less than last years Sony 4K model. By not a big price difference, would the KDL-65W850B offer a better overall PQ and TV for non 4K content, than that sony 4K model showing non-4K content given the price?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.