Computer Help forum

General discussion

64MB dedicated video memory or 512MB shared?

by A. Sommer / January 17, 2010 9:13 AM PST

I am looking to buy a new computer for use doing mostly standard things: word, internet, excel, photo management. I do also have Adobe Premiere Elements and I would like to start doing some editing of my home videos with that program. Though that won't be my main use of the computer, I want something that can handle Premiere and won't lag when doing any editing or playback.

I'm considering two different models (Gateway SX2802-07 and HP Pavilion p6204y), both with similar specs (2.6MHz processor, 6GB ram, 800MHz front side bus, 7200rpm SATA hard drive) but the main difference I can see is the video memory. For using Premiere, would 64MB of dedicated video memory be better, or 512MB shared?

Also, both of the computers I'm looking at have a front side bus of 800MHz, will that cause problems with video editing and playback?

Thanks for any advice, computer stuff can be very perplexing sometimes. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 64MB dedicated video memory or 512MB shared?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 64MB dedicated video memory or 512MB shared?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dedicated memory is always better
by Bam421 / January 17, 2010 12:14 PM PST

You should take the computer with 64 MB of dedicated video RAM. Shared memory is a nice term used by computer manufacturers to say that the video card steals however much memory (in your case, 512 MB) from the regular system. Although if you are looking at 6 GB of RAM it probably won't matter too much anyway.

Collapse -
Dedicated, eh?
by A. Sommer / January 17, 2010 12:26 PM PST

Thanks for your response. That's what I was thinking, but I was wondering if 64MB was sort of a small amount and if it can still "share" more of the regular ram if necessary. I realize that there's a lot of ram in these things nowadays, and I would hate to get the 64MB of dedicated memory and end up bottle necking myself that way. Do you know if more memory can be accessed if needed? Or is 64MB plenty to use Premiere and edit/watch videos? Or do you think I probably wouldn't notice either way?

Collapse -
Probably yes you can share more, but it might depend
by Bam421 / January 17, 2010 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: Dedicated, eh?

on the driver. Sorry, I never have had to share extra memory (I just buy a card with enough memory for what I need) so I don't know much about this particular subject.

Collapse -
opinion
by Bob__B / January 18, 2010 5:36 AM PST

Keep shopping.

Those little cases look nice but they get HOT.
Move up in case size if you have the space.

Cpu....the core2 series would be nice.....leave that pent/d for someone else.

Vid....dedicated/pci-e slot....even a low end unit will work as well as that integrated stuff.

Ram....4GB should work well.....save a buck.

OS.....64 bit....just so you can use that 4GB.

Collapse -
Sounds like dedicated is better...
by A. Sommer / January 18, 2010 12:08 PM PST
In reply to: opinion

Thanks for your response. Sounds like you favor the dedicated video memory over shared no matter what; that's what I was looking to find out, thanks. As for the rest of it, I'm not exactly building my own box here, so I'm sort of stuck with what the big guys offer. It think they should suffice, maybe I'll go with the HP tower with the dedicated vid memory.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?