Windows Vista forum

General discussion

64 bit XP Pro Verus Vista 64bit

by steveflett / March 12, 2008 8:23 PM PDT

I have recently upgraded from XP Professional to XP Professional 64bit edition to enable its increased processing power, however there are some problems using the 64bit software such as an inability to install Adobes Flash/shockwave player, the quicktime and realplayers being uninstallable properly etc.
My question is this. Now that the introduction of Windows Vista is well and truely upon us, can someone tell me whether Microsoft has managed to solve any of the problems associated with XP's 64bit operating system and therefore is it worth upgrading to Vista's 64bit edition?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 64 bit XP Pro Verus Vista 64bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 64 bit XP Pro Verus Vista 64bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 12:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's a hard choice..
by cbunting99 / March 13, 2008 3:10 AM PDT

I have a few different OS's and have been trying to find just the right one that fits for gaming with my latest pc upgrades. I personally like XP Pro 32 bit the best of all since almost all software vendors/drivers support it.

For the past week, I had reinstalled XP Pro x64 but once again, had a lot of driver problems as I couldn't seem to find most of them. Not many anti-virus programs seem to run on it ect. However, XP Pro x64 doesn't use much more resources than XP Pro 32 bit.

This past week, I bought Vista Ultimate 64 bit from, it's like $189.00 for the Vista Ultimate x64 OEM disk. I've not had any driver issues or anything. Some software is still lacking support but I don't use much. I play Call of duty 4 most of the time. Vista x64 does use more system resources than xp 64 but not by much. I used Vlite to get rid of what I didn't need and then use ccleaner to keep it uncluttered. Then I use other programs like TweakVI to help optimize it and VistaGlazz to add custom themes.

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 on a 2 year old Dell XPS 400, Pentium D 820 (2 cores) 2GB ram, 9600 GT OC video card. And using about 22% ram (468MB) while idle. So it's about double that of XP but once you learn a few of the quirks like the UAC, it really isn't that bad. I honestly don't see much of an advantage over 32 bit XP but then again, I don't have a blazing fast system either.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts,

Collapse -
no doubt
by root(hd0,1) / March 16, 2008 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a hard choice..

XP 64 sp3 fastest booting windows os out there and just ensure you have the right drivers they are out there.

Collapse -
by cbunting99 / March 16, 2008 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: no doubt

Windows XP x64 is faster yes, but as I mentioned, most companies don't offer newer software for it anymore. Also, XP x64 only has service pack 2. I've seen SP2a, SP2b or SP2c which I have. I have never found any information about an SP3 and MS claims there were never plans to release SP3.

Collapse -
yes, vista/64 is a better alternative than xp 64
by ramarc / March 17, 2008 1:08 AM PDT

vista/64 has much better software support than xp/64. it also can handle 32bit installs of most any recent software and run them without issue. consumer hardware companies are focusing on driver development for vista/64 and many have stated that their new releases won't have supported xp/64 drivers.

perhaps most importantly, microsoft has stated that xp sp3 will be 32bit only -- there is no sp3 planned for xp/64.

Collapse -
by Scotteq / March 18, 2008 3:09 AM PDT

".....however there are some problems using the 64bit software such as an inability to install Adobes Flash/shockwave player, the quicktime and realplayers being uninstallable properly etc."

Vista X64 user here: Adobe have not created a 64 bit version of Flash/Shockwave. So you will not be able to use Flash in the 64 bit version of Explorer included with the OS. *However* Vista x64 most definitely can and does run Flash - Just install the 32 bit browser of your choice, including the 32 bit Explorer included with the OS, and install Flash on that. Personally, I'm not an Explorer fan. So I'm using Firefox (V3 beta 4 at the moment). It works perfectly fine.

Regarding XP64 versus Vista 64: This is a different animal from the usual XP 32 versus Vista 32 conversations in that drivers and the rest that Vista gets beaten up for are *more* scarce on XP64 than they are for Vista 64, rather than less. Vista will still be slower because of the greater overhead, though.

On Vista 64 in general: Mine is a new (self built) computer, and Vista 64 has so far run everything I've put on it, except a couple shareware programs (such as Speedfan) which don't get past Vista's Digital Signature Police. But in those cases, I've been able to find other programs which *do* work.

Collapse -
by cbunting99 / March 18, 2008 6:31 AM PDT

I decided to dual boot with XP Pro x64 and Vista Home Premium x64. I also have Vista Ultimate x64 but I don't need those additional features and Home Premium x64 is more fitting for myself.

Anyway, to give a comparison out of the box. I had to use Driver Genius to get the needed XP x64 drivers as searching for them was tiresome. Although I did find all of the drivers, most software just doesn't support xp x64 as most companies seem to focus on XP 32 bit versions and have replaced XP x64 support with Vista x64 support.

Vista x64 on the other hand had all of the drivers out of the box and supports most commanly used software include anti-virus and so on.

While I can game perfectly well on XP Pro x64, I myself would choose Vista for daily computing. Either Home Premium x64, or Ultimate just cause the name sounds great.

My Windows XP Pro x64 desktop;

It's because of Vista that I am getting really used to Aero and really like the customization options.

My previous Vista Ultimate x64 desktop with custom backgraound. There is no gaming edition. That was just a personal touch since I used Vlite to custom build the iso.

Hopefully this gives you some better ideas.

Collapse -
xp64 vs.
by siwalker / December 5, 2008 7:03 PM PST

personally,i find xp64 bit much faster than any other os,and i've tried all of them.i haven't found any problems at all with drivers,i suppose i've been lucky with my hardware choice.I can run anything quick as i have a quad core and hd4670 sapphire(which is excellent for 50 odd quid btw)-but xp64 seems very noticably quicker than vista 32 or 64.Maybe it depends on your setup...

Collapse -
I'm in this camp too...
by CardsFan29 / January 18, 2009 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: xp64 vs.

I have XP 64-bit on one computer and love it so far. I've only had two issues with it. iTunes doesn't work (although there is a super easy fix out there which I have used - shame on Apple for not putting this in themselves), and the latest expansion of WoW (Wrath of the Lich King) doesn't seem to want to load on it. Drivers have been easy to find for XP-64 so far. My main computer (a Quad core machine) currently has XP 32-bit, but I'm still debating whether or not to go with Vista Ultimate 64-bit or put XP-64 bit on it.

Is there a list of well known programs that don't work with XP-64 bit?

Collapse -
Not that I know of...
by John.Wilkinson / January 18, 2009 7:43 AM PST

But try the Windows XP forum.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?