TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

60" rear proj VS 50" plasma

by shmeab22 / August 14, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

should i go for:
http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/sony-kds-60a2020/4505-6484_7-32331182.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list
or
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/panasonic-th-50px77u/4505-6482_7-32317316.html?tag=lst

i have a pretty spacious basement so i definitely want to go for at least 50". i hear great reviews on the 60" rear projection from sony, but when i saw it at circuit city, i was pretty disappointed. i was never a big fan of the narrow viewing angle of the rear projections. but i have a lot of space and the basement is generally dark, so should i go for the rear projection?

what do you think? THANKS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 60" rear proj VS 50" plasma
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 60" rear proj VS 50" plasma
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the sony
by givemeaname / August 14, 2007 4:40 AM PDT

It has a good viewing angle of 65 degrees L/R, 130 total. The main thing is to calibrate the tv & having the tv Advanced Iris set to Auto1 helps with the viewing angle then if you have it set too Min.
I've got an A2000 & happy, no troubles, I have had it about 5 or 6 months now.

Collapse -
RE: the sony
by shmeab22 / August 14, 2007 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: the sony

thanks for your feedback. i will go back and see if circuit city lets me modify some of their settings. would part of it be the lighting as well? the lighting is much brighter at these stores than they would be in my basement.

any other opinion or perspective on this issue would be much appreciated. i'll admit that i am a little nervous about making such a large investment. thanks again.

Collapse -
My opinion
by Kingp1n / August 14, 2007 10:26 PM PDT

I was in the same boat as you about 4 months ago. I went with the Samsung 61' LED DLP rear projection and love it. I basicly figured that viewing angle was not that high of a priority that I could not go with the Samsung. Also, I knew I was not going to wall mount a plasma so which ever I bought; plasma or RP, was going to sit on a tv stand.

Take a look at the Samsung if it is availible to you, the LED DLP works great, and you get a lamp life similar to a plasma. I have read 20,000+ life on the LED lamp.

Also, don't put too much stock in the picture quality at your local Bestbuy or Circuit City. The florescent lighting is terrible to view tv's and the signal that is fed to all the tv's is slit so many times it degrades the strength. I would recomend you buy from a store that you can return the product with no problems should you not like it at home.

Collapse -
SONY KDS-60A3000..........
by Riverledge / August 15, 2007 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: My opinion

RIVER.

Collapse -
?
by Kingp1n / August 16, 2007 12:07 AM PDT

What about it?

Collapse -
i am assuming...
by shmeab22 / August 16, 2007 8:40 AM PDT

...that you are a fan of the sony kds series? ive read a lot of reviews on this series, and everyone keeps raving about how great of an investment it is. so how about this... should i got for the A2020 or the following:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/pioneer-pdp-5070hd/4505-6482_7-31951817.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/panasonic-th-58px60u/4505-6482_7-31813550.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list

it appears that i can get all three of these sets for the same price... my main purpose of this tv is to have a bunch of people over to watch football, so im still a bit concerned about the viewing angle. i understand that givemeaname said that the viewing angle is good, but is it relatively good for a rear projection, or good overall?

based on everyone's opinions, i am leaning towards the a2020, but everyone at the stores are telling me that i should get plasma and that rear projection technology is fading. thanks again for all of your opinions, they are very helpful. i think im just getting anxious.

Collapse -
I LOVE THE NEW STYLING OF THE SONY KDS-60A3000, THAT........
by Riverledge / August 16, 2007 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: i am assuming...

TAKES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AWAY FROM the SONY KDS-60A2020!!! A great set and a great deal currently price-wise. Almost a steal for a 60" set. Do some price comparisons, and go with the most reputable store.
There are many. ASK the forum, for some quality retailers. A love my plasma but it is pricier.

Best wishes,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Big screens
by martingreg3 / August 17, 2007 6:53 PM PDT

Keep me updated on this topic. This is where some of the future lies.

Collapse -
Avoid SONY projection AND plasma
by ThePoke / August 17, 2007 10:09 PM PDT

Buyer beware with larger sets!!! And avoid the SONY brand like the plague (pay more, get less and it'll leave you with huge repair bills)

Plasma still has burn-in and longevity issues. You'll soon see network logos burned into your new set... and plasma sets only last about 5 years. (Samsung brags about an anti-burn-in tech in their sets)

LCD is less prone to this damage... but there's a disconnect between price/size around 42" and the larger sets can be outrageous. (Olevia has a nice 42" for $1000 at Target and I preferred it's picture to the $4500, 44" Sony). Beware that most "HDTV" sets under $2000 convert 1080 down to 720p.

DLP and LCD Projection use VERY expensive bulbs that last only 6 mo's to two years and require professional replacement. Less expensive DLPs have a whir and can give those with extra-acute vision headaches from the flashing caused by the rotating color wheel.

You may consider one of the many <$1,000 LCD projectors since the basement is usually dark. Sadly, hard to ever see one of these puppies out of the box and working. CHECK THE PRICE OF THE BULB as often the replacement bulbs cost nearly as much as the projector and you can expect to replace these every 6 months to two years, depending on use and the quality of the bulb. Satin makes a great, inexpensive alternative to a diamondkote screen...

CRT projection has a great picture and typically last 7-10 years but can burn-in, too. They're usually a great budget option. Make sure you get flash-focus or auto convergence and move the set as-little as possible once you get it home. (Oh - and air purifiers keep the cleaning visits down).

Avoid the Sony projection set like the plague... unless you are an electronic tech or are rich and don't mind being bled dry.

I was a sony fanatic for over two decades and my home used to look like a showcase of Sony's mid-to-high end stuff... but, I got tired of paying top dollar for low-end longevity and warranties.

Most recently, my under-used 5 year old SONY hi-def 55" projection set went out and I've been told it's a $670 repair. The problem? Two $20 ICs that are overdriven and blow... and is a problem so common that you can google it and get dozens of answers on how to fix it.

I went through 3 sony CD changers in under a year. Each time the Sony service center pointed out that the warranty was parts only, and the labor estimate was more than a new changer.

I waited for nearly 2 years to replace my aging SONY DVD player with a progressive scan player that did MP3, jpg, mp4, etc... and still had to settle and paid $30 more for fewer features than any other in it's price range.

My 3 year-old, $500 cybershot now has issues that cause 1/2 the pictures to not work out. Not to mention it uses proprietary memory... that costs 3x what other memory cards cost.

Our family has 3 PS2s that need constant manually cleaning and relubing. I can make a dvd on the computer and it will play on one or two, but never all 3. Oh - and neverind that you can't use it to view your pictures or movies on a CD or DVD.. and early versions of it even blocked home-made DVDs.

DVR - Sony's DVR costs 5x as much as my pioneer and you can't even record to DVD! (and don't get me started on the DRM)

So - go Sony if you like... but be prepared to pay and pay and pay...

Collapse -
Before I get flamed....
by ThePoke / August 17, 2007 10:56 PM PDT

Before I get flamed... Sony USED to be the gold standard for most electronics... MOST of the Sony stuff I bought back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's still work and work as well as the day I bought them...

But, Sony then took advantage of its loyal customers and reputation by cutting corners. They moved production to 3rd world countries, started using cheaper components, and over-driving the components and under-building the mechanical components. This resulted in many of us die-hard fans getting stuck with HUGE repair bills.

Spreading salt in the wound were internal conflicts over features that consumers wanted, but the music and motion picture divisions did not want us to have.

Then, there's the whole proprietary thing... Sony can't be happy just selling you the TV, VCR, DVD, PS2, etc... they want a cut of EVERYTHING you do with it -- whether that be new batteries, film, blank CD or DVD, etc.

And in recent years, Sony has been so busy fighting lawsuits over its intellectual property rights and resolving the internal conflicts over what consumers can and can't do with what they've already bought and paid for -- that their products are often incomplete and lack features that people just assume and take for granted Sony will have because everyone else does.

Personally, I'm just hurt and miss the old Sony... and wishing that ANYONE offered the old kind of reliability and extra features that used to come "standard" with the Sony brand.

Collapse -
RE: Sony products
by martingreg3 / August 18, 2007 7:44 AM PDT

I am sorry to hear that the Sony standard has dropped. Whilst I personally do not object to law suits over patent infringement, I have found that it is better to have 10% of something than 100% of nothing. If Sony are going down the drain their appears to be a market opportunity appearing.

martingreg3@aol.com

Collapse -
IT'S NOT THAT EASY TO HAVE "BURN IN" ON A PLASMA IF YOU.....
by Riverledge / August 20, 2007 11:43 AM PDT

SIMPLY FOLLOW THE BASIC RULES during the first 200-300 hours. Absolutely NO issues with my new PANASONIC plasma, 45 days new. I don't game on it so that's probably a saving grace. To each his/her own.

Best to all,

River.

Collapse -
TV is new... give it time
by ThePoke / August 20, 2007 7:19 PM PDT

What basic rules would those be?

I was scared off before buying one because EVERY plasma in every showrooom so far has been burned in -- some so bad you could read the network logos with the TV turned off! (And plainly visible while on!)

Our local KMart uses DVDs instead of cable and ruins every LCD, Plasma and projection set in the store every few months by burning in the DVD's menu.

The only sets I've seen that aren't vulnerable to this are DLP... but, they have their own achille's heels... super-expensive lamp replacments and they give me a splitting headache in just a few minutes.

Collapse -
Wow Poke, you're pretty negative about quite a few things.
by NM_Bill / August 29, 2007 2:17 PM PDT

Have I ever been burnt on a product? Sure.

I believe riverledge was referrng to what he touched on briefly. Namely keeping brightness & contrast at 50% or below for those first couple hundred hours.

Sure many issues have surfaced here in this forum. Viewing angles, rainbow effect, motion lag, yada-yada. Nice to define potential problem areas, but on a personal level many of those hotly argued issues become non-issues for many of us.

Lesser viewing angles? Anyone who has to watch a TV presentation from beyond 45 degrees off center is having a poor experience anyway.

I certainly wouldn't deny some are very sensitive to rainbows, screen doors, lag, etc. I have a DLP & those just listed items are non-issues to me. My lamp replacement is $180. At four years now, I still haven't felt a need to replace. Yes, I had to buy quickly, without having been in touch with the issues at the time & with constricted budget then, DLP was a more decisive price advantage then than now. It was the bargain track into big screen.

When you feel a need for a fresh look at the offerings, try an independent shop rather than mass merchandisers & big boxes. Not so overwhelmingly stressng lowest possible (supposed) price, they usually feature a shorter line of brands & mid to better offerings. But the sets will be calibrated properly. I always go in with online research as to prices, & negotiate politely but firmly. My experience has shown a price differential of pretty consistently 8%, but that brings knowledge, some individuasl attention & service above & beyond saying look at the manual & contact the maker.

The knowledege often advises you quickly as to what not to be concerned with. Right there, that may save money. I have osnme years under the belt, but manage to still look for promise (without being particularly naive.)

Collapse -
"Informative" - not negative.... for all our sake....
by ThePoke / August 30, 2007 1:58 AM PDT

Every year, millions of TVs and computers make hit the landfill because of hidden costs or unexpected shortcomings... I want people to know that these problems exist and to expect them.

The TV makers' business model is a new TV in your living room every 3-7 years. So - they don't add a $5 chip to drop out bright-white logos to avoid burn-in... or make affordable, user-friendly replaceable modules for lamps and convergence circuits.

They know that at 30% of the cost of new... you're gonna buy a new set instead of repair your old one.

So, your TV uses a $250 lamp that takes an hour to replace... by an $80/hour tech. Convergence circuits take 30 screws and an hour to get to to unsolder... then another 30-60 minutes to re-converge using menues only a tech can access.

I was able to fix my Sony projection set myself but, this "fix" would have cost the average user $350-600. I've also cleaned the lenses and cabinet interior 3x... (typically a $125 service-call).

Most people would have simply kicked it to the curb and went & bought a new TV with different technology... totally unaware of the next technologies "gotcha's".

Collapse -
BASH BASH BASH
by stewart norrie / August 30, 2007 2:46 AM PDT

You nick pickers are driving me nuts. especially about d.l.p. sets. fact lamp replacement is as easy as screwing in a light bulb mabey 2 minutes lamp cost for my 72" Toshiba is $200 but after 16 months of heavy use still blazing brite, rainbow effect hog wash mabey one in a hundred folks will see this effect. You nit pickers want 100% perfection SORRY steweee

Collapse -
"Green" minded is not "nitpicky"
by ThePoke / August 30, 2007 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: BASH BASH BASH

It's people that don't care what impact they or their technology has on this planet... that are driving climate change and the increasingly toxic conditions for life on this planet.

You know that 1 in 100 Chinese die from respiratory disease from the pollution created by our outsourced production?

That 1 in 5 rivers, lakes and streams in China are so toxic that merely wading in them can have major irreversible health consequences (cancer, rashes that never go away, blindness)

That every year, we lose MILLIONS of acres of farmable land to desert due to climate change?

That every DAY, MILLIONS OF TONS of C02 are emitted bringing you replacements instead of the more green-friendly repair?

Just because you don't care ... don't mean that no one else does, either.

All products should be manufactured with care as to how that product will be treated... and repaired... instead of cashing in on guaranteed replacement.

Collapse -
crap
by danijoy / September 30, 2007 9:46 PM PDT

1 in 100 do not die from our outsourced production. China has only been doing production for the West for the past 15 years at most. 1 and 100 hundred die from respiratory disease because of cigarette smoking just as it is in the U.S. Don't make stuff up. C

Collapse -
Poke has been drinking the koolaid... :-/
by grfd703 / December 4, 2007 9:35 AM PST

Poke,

You environmentalist wacko's are the primary reason this country faces so many problems now. You people won't be happy until we're all living by candle/lantern light, using outhouses again and walking/riding horses or horse and buggy to work. Oh wait... horses and cows give off too much methane don't they? Go crawl back under that green rock and leave the rest of in peace. God created this universe and it's ludicrous to imagine that human beings have ANY control over the earth and it's climate. The eruption of ONE volcano ejects more CO2 into the atmosphere than mankind has EVER emitted in his short existence on this planet.

As for the Sony... I just ordered mine (KDS-60A3000) and I'm looking forward to it.

I think I'll burn a tire in Pokes honor on Earth day. I might even cut down a tree while I'm at it.

Collapse -
And "nitpicky" isn't the word
by ThePoke / August 30, 2007 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: BASH BASH BASH

For those of us that get splitting headaches from the DLP rainbow... it's not a minor deal. Nor from children who have epileptic seizures from them. Maybe if you or your child were experiencing this ill effect, it'd seem more major.

Oh - and get froggy and jump right into that DLP lamp replacement. You'll void your warranty... and I hope that you handled that touchy little lamp 100% right... and got it from a reputable dealer... because otherwise, you may have spent $200 for 3 hours or less of viewing displeasure.

Collapse -
Ralph Nader....is that you?
by RustyDallas / August 30, 2007 4:49 AM PDT

If so, thanks for 2000 buddy.

Sincerely,

The Unknown Democrat

Collapse -
(NT) Nice succinct touch, Rusty
by NM_Bill / August 30, 2007 5:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Child psychology 101 - back to high school
by ThePoke / August 30, 2007 6:30 AM PDT

Minimize and make fun of...

Woohoo... go team!

Collapse -
May the fleas of 1000 camels infest your crotch...
by ThePoke / August 30, 2007 7:42 AM PDT

Here I am trying to provide valuable information for those that want it... and you have to be arrogant and ignorant ...

I really hope your kids get lead poisoning from chinese toys.... and hope that on your way back from walmart, you flip your oversized SUV when your firestone tires fail... because this planet could use a lot fewer ignorant hicks and their offspring.

Collapse -
LOL....Whoa...not Ralph Nader
by RustyDallas / August 30, 2007 8:38 AM PDT

Boy did I get that wrong. Let's see, knowledge of outdated electronics, fear of the consequences of technology, compassion for the plight of some due to industry run amok while simultaneously wishing harm to me and my children. Almost sounds like, I know, the Unibomber Manifesto....Ted Kaczynski? That is you isn't it? You must have been doing real well with your counseling for them to let you have a computer and all. Congratulations on your progress! Still, there clearly still seems to be a combustible (no pun intended) mix of fear, paranoia, and violent tendencies. May I suggest, and it's just a thought, cut back a little on the computer and double up on the Dr. Phill. Believe me, you have me wrong. I wish you nothing but luck with your therapy.

I'm pullling for you man!

Rusty

Collapse -
(NT) Poke, you're getting obnoxious.
by NM_Bill / August 30, 2007 8:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
You're totally right
by ThePoke / August 30, 2007 9:53 AM PDT

You're totally right... it only shows the uphill battle us "greenies" face every day.

We try to help people make good decisions... and we're ridiculed and marginalized by the ignorant and arrogant for it.

Well - sadly, we're running out of happy tomorrows... and the disposable decades will haunt us for millenia. And sadly, these ignorant @sses will have already passed, leaving their wasteful ways for their grandchildren and greatgrandchildren to deal with.

Collapse -
GRIPES, STOP WHINING AND PURCHASE THE SONY KDS-60A2020.....
by Riverledge / August 30, 2007 12:18 PM PDT

River.

Collapse -
what the...
by shmeab22 / August 30, 2007 1:02 PM PDT

haha, what did my topic turn into? this is crazy.

this weekend i am going to get the a2020! river, thanks for being the voice of reason - you are a great contributer to this forum! but i am going to see if the a3000 is available just in case.

honestly though, i dont think anybody really intends any harm on these posts. i am willing to bet that 90% of all of these arguments are due to misunderstandings. im sure if we were able to sit down, be quick to listen, slow to speak and take our time, then we would be able to resolve all of our issues.

Collapse -
THANKS FOR THE NICE WORDS................
by Riverledge / August 30, 2007 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: what the...

IF YOUR BUDGET DICTATES THE SONY 60A2020 then buy it, the improvements in the A3000, do not justify it's high price.....AT THIS TIME!!! A year from now when the A3000 price is being slashed, you won't have regrets. Go for the A2020.

A very good deal. Do a last minute computer price check.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?