The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

60 minutes and MPAA attack Bit Torrent

If it hasn't aired in your Time Zone, (ie- West Coast), makes sure you set your DVRs to record tonight's 60 minutes. Currently watching it and I'd say maybe half way through, they air a story that address Movie Internet Piracy, comparing it to organized crime, and specifically singles out Bit Torrent as "THE" major technology allowing it to happen.

If you don't see it, here it the text of the segment from their website:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/30/60minutes/main5464994.shtml?tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

I'm surprised that C|Net wasn't asked for comment...this is a TECH story and 60 minutes IS a CBS property.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 60 minutes and MPAA attack Bit Torrent
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 60 minutes and MPAA attack Bit Torrent
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thoughts...

In reply to: 60 minutes and MPAA attack Bit Torrent

I would've liked to have seen them show the other side- with the studios increasing the streaming movies, the LEGAL ways to watch movies at home, the LEGAL uses for Bit Torrent (not just imply that's ALL it's used for) and discuss the argument that sometimes people just want to watch them at home.

In all honesty, while I have great respect for Leslie and her reporting skills, and understand the segment's purpose, I felt that it could potentially leave a viewer with no background knowledge missing out on details.

Collapse -
Wow--60 minutes is a MPAA Fan-Boy.

I just saw this. I agree with you. This was a hugely one sided report and I hope BOL reports on this for what is was. 60 Minutes should have reported both sides of the story. I even thought that their pretty graphics showing how Bit-Torrent worked was laughable, it was like they had this program running on Internet. Nothing better than a pretty picture and spinning wheel to make the un-iformed believe everything they are told by the MPAA and 60 Minutes.

Collapse -
Yeah

Also we should do something about motorbikes. Everyone knows their only purpose is for violent bikie gangs.
Ohh and prepaid cell phones too, everyone knows the mob uses them to gain anonymity.

Collapse -
I didn't see the attack.

I heard it clearly that the software was legal. Maybe it was a kneejerk reaction to write that it was another attack on the technology?

Collapse -
here's why I said what I said....

In reply to: I didn't see the attack.

I think that as a piece showing piracy and comparing it to organized crime, which was the purpose, was well done. However, I think the discussion of the technology being used, the reasons behind people downloading, and the avenues that studios are taking to prevent it, could've taken a more neutral approach.

1) While it might have been discussed as a legal technology, the presentation of it to a "lay" individual would make it appear as if that is ALL it is used for.

She could've at least talked about the positive uses of the technology as well.

And the way she said/introduced bit torrent. If you haven't watched the segment, she made it sound like it was extremely evil.

2) I've never seen a desktop bit torrent application work like the one demonstrated.

3) They could've also argued towards the increasing of streaming and legal downloads like Netflix, iTunes, and Amazon; which is also reducing the sales of DVDs.

4) She should've mentioned that studios are trying new techniques like offering downloads immediately after studio releases; or sometimes previously.

5) There was NO discussion about even the possibility that "some" studios have been accused of purposely leaking copies to generate positive buzz or as publicity stunts.

Collapse -
The piece is what it was.

In reply to: here's why I said what I said....

It was exactly as presented an stab at what is going on. But an attack on bit torrent is not what I heard and I did dvr the show so I was able to play back the interesting bits.

Interesting article but it is obviously one sided as to the torrent aspect. The key point seemed to be not about torrents but all aspects of the problem.

The Al Gore comment was funny.
Bob

Collapse -
Hollywoods Needs An Identifiable Enemy....."Bit Torrent"

Dear Buzz Gang And Crew,
Hey people, I think that some of you missed the point of the entire story. Hollywood needs an identifiable enemy to get political and legal pressure to move toward their cause. Telling some Representative in Congress that his or her voting constituents are pirating movies does make heads turn. However if you point the finger at some "mysterious" technology that has no voice or does not vote like "Bit Torrent", then you can get legislatures to act and pass laws against it. It is all about perception and perspective.....plain and simple.

Collapse -
thats cuz 60minutes is targeted for nursing home residents

old ppl dont like dissenting arguements as would be presented by the young hip cnetters! Silly

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.