Speakeasy forum

General discussion

57 Chevy returned and better than ever.

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 2:22 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 57 Chevy returned and better than ever.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 57 Chevy returned and better than ever.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow !
by itsdigger / February 22, 2014 2:37 AM PST

She's A Keeper

Collapse -
I love it!
by James Denison / February 22, 2014 2:55 AM PST

If only that happened with all stolen goods.

Collapse -
I love it also.....See James....
by JP Bill / February 22, 2014 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: I love it!

In another thread you railed against the Government regulations and car licenses.....THAT made this story possible.

Collapse -
(NT) the VIN made it possible
by James Denison / February 22, 2014 10:12 PM PST
Collapse -
Because of
by JP Bill / February 22, 2014 11:27 PM PST
Collapse -
Why are you ALWAYS so wrong?
by James Denison / February 23, 2014 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: Because of

It was voluntary from manufacturers. The govt came along later just like with all the rest of it. You just keep missing the mark.

"Before 1981, vehicle manufacturers created their own vehicle identification (vin) numbers of varying lengths to signify facts about their vehicles as they saw fit. During the 1970s to ease confusion, the United States Department Of Transportation (D.O.T.) mandated all vehicles built for sale in the U.S. by model year 1980 would have vin numbers conforming to a uniform set of guidelines. "

Collapse -
RE: They created their own
by JP Bill / February 23, 2014 11:58 AM PST

the United States Department Of Transportation (D.O.T.) mandated

A mandate is the formal notice of decision from an appeals court
It is also a requirement for a Health maintenance organization to provide a particular product.

Sounds like they were dragged somewhere for some reason to, "create their own"

Next you'll be telling me he went to GM to get his VIN# from 30 years ago, perhaps he still had the Government issued Vehicle Registration in his wallet, and no government agency was used in the recovery of his vehicle.

He was lucky he still had his registration, most people would have lost it or thrown it away...I mean 30 years...come on. He could be a hoarder.

Collapse -
PS
by JP Bill / February 23, 2014 12:03 PM PST

He was also lucky the same cop that he reported the vehicle stolen to was the same cop that discovered it and the same cop also remembered who it was stolen from.

Who needs computers...Who needs means of identification...

Collapse -
as usual
by James Denison / February 23, 2014 6:24 PM PST

you prove you know little of what you speak.

Collapse -
(NT) Do not
by JP Bill / February 23, 2014 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: as usual
Collapse -
Sweet..and it was leaving the USA
by Willy / February 22, 2014 5:53 AM PST

Yeah, but I had a '56 I was working on then had to sell. Me and my neighbor his was a '57 already worked up. Too bad it got repossessed when he lost his job. Understand that was his go to work car. I personally would like a Nomad station wagon or '51 panel truck.

The paint job would be what???? Help me here people, what kind of paint job, work it -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dark below, White or cream above the mid body line for some
by Rob_Boyter / February 22, 2014 9:18 AM PST

sun reflection offering some coolness in the summer, and always have a silver Van Cover handy with reinforced steel grommets and a cable lock that runs under the vehicle and with large foam sponges afixed to it in strategic places to lift the cover off the vehicle and allow air to circulate. It won't have a/c unless you install it, though if you're doing up a panel truck or something like that, go the whole hog if you can. unless you're a stock purist.

Rob.

Collapse -
Hope Ya Got a
by itsdigger / February 22, 2014 9:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Typo
by itsdigger / February 22, 2014 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: Hope Ya Got a

$100,000.00

Collapse -
You never know
by Willy / February 22, 2014 1:13 PM PST
In reply to: Hope Ya Got a

There are places sometimes that have buried junks or discarded hunks just waiting to be hauled away provided you find one. From what I've seen of what people have done, it's a total rip and re-weld. It really takes someone in the know to do all that and maybe the $100K is part of that, but if it works and starts everytime, its a done deal. AND no spare cash, never did have any. Just helping and getting hands dirty on some project cars over the yrs.. the only thing I'll do now is make a farm truck, a on the property only hauler, it basically has come to that anyways for firewood detail. No ATV here, just a p/u and chain saws and cable. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Who Kknows Willy,
by itsdigger / February 22, 2014 7:32 PM PST
In reply to: You never know

If I ever do retire Ol' Betsy, she could end up on your friendly confines Grin

Digger

Collapse -
At the risk of sounding like Dave Thomas doing Bob Hope
by Rob_Boyter / February 22, 2014 9:08 AM PST

That's really wild, Bob. (Golf club swing here)

And a very fine restoration. Guess the car thieves didn't count on Export Customs checking the VIN number.

Rob

Collapse -
Good Video
by itsdigger / February 22, 2014 7:57 PM PST
Collapse -
The 57' Chevy is way more sexy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: Here's another story

Thanks all for the posts.
Bob

Collapse -
More sexy...I know, even my 57 Biscayne black 4 door sedan
by JP Bill / February 23, 2014 4:24 AM PST

but the sexiest one was my 60 Chev Impala 4 door hardtop

Collapse -
Chevy did not produce a Biscayne in '57..
by Tony Holmes / February 23, 2014 5:52 AM PST

The model ran from 58-72.

Collapse -
Well then it was
by JP Bill / February 23, 2014 5:58 AM PST

a Bel-Air (150/210?) without the chrome on the side of the tail fins.

A Plain Jane 57 Chevy 4dr sedan

Collapse -
Did you know how to tell which V8 a stock 57 Chevy...
by Tony Holmes / February 23, 2014 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: Well then it was

was equipped with by giving it a quick glance? They didn't use any number badging like today.

The 57 had two V8 engines,the 265 cu in and 283 cu in.

The 265 had a chrome "V" on the hood and trunk lid.

The 283 had a gold "V" on the hood and trunk lid.

Collapse -
Thanks, didn't know that......
by JP Bill / February 23, 2014 8:33 PM PST

Mine was even plainer...it was a 235 6 cylinder Auto

Collapse -
Seems to be missing something
by Steven Haninger / February 23, 2014 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: Here's another story

Oh yes...the engine. Being a '65, it would have been the last of the old 1200cc 40 HP models. No cam bearings in these engines. After 60-80 K miles, you'd lose the #3 cylinder and need a tear down anyway. Might cost 100 bucks to rebuild her.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.