Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

554 - relay access denied

by sshopkins / August 1, 2010 12:58 PM PDT

All of a sudden I'm getting this error message when trying to send email to a Verizon address with which I've previously experienced no problems. I get it when originating, forwarding, or replying from my roadrunner address (Entourage)...also via roadrunner webmail....& my iPhone. I Googled it but all references were in geek speak...meaningless to me. Can anybody offer suggestions to resolve this problem in layman-speak, i.e., a flowchart that assumes I know nothing...detailing each step? Is the problem on my end or the would-be receiver's? It's very frustrating as it is someone with whom I've maintained a regular email dialog. Thanks in advance for your simple & gentle help.

In case it matters, I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.11....soon to be upgraded to 10.6.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 554 - relay access denied
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 554 - relay access denied
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sending email to other addresses.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 9:44 PM PDT

Are you able to do that without getting this error message?

In other words, is the Verizon address the only address with which you have a problem?

If it is, I would take a careful look at the address you are using. A misplaced period (.) or underscore (_) could be the likely cause.

BTW, there is a whole set of forums here specifically for the Mac. Here is the link to the OS X forum, http://forums.cnet.com/mac-forums/mac-os-x-forum/
You will find others in the sidebar.

P

Collapse -
by sshopkins / August 2, 2010 4:34 AM PDT

It is the only address with which I have the problem.

Last night I noticed that the recipient address on the bounce-back error notice was "@erizon.net" rather than "@verizon.net"...despite the fact that I had replied to my friend's email...so there was no input error on my part. Curious, eh? I have no idea why that would happen. After discovering this discrepancy I sent my message again verifying that the "To" address was correct. No bounce-back...my friend received it. As a test, I tried replying (not actually sending) to a few emails I'd gotten from him. In each case the "To" box address was wrong, omitting the "v"????

Collapse -
That looks like
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 5:39 AM PDT

the entry in the Contact List has got changed or corrupted somehow.

Note, I was going to answer your first post but when I saw you were using a Mac I got scared and called in the cavalry! Happy

How do you complete the To field? Many email clients attempt to auto-complete as you type. If you did that, then perhaps you missed that the stored email address is incorrect?

Mark

Collapse -
To correct the "Previous Recipients" list,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 6:45 AM PDT

which is where the addresses that automatically pop up when you start to type the email address.

With Mail open, go to the View menu. There you should find the "Previous Recipients" list.
Choose it and from there you can edit the list.

I'm typing this at work, away from a Mac, but I will check when I get to the house to make sure that I sent you to the right place.

If you have any other Mac related problems, remember the Mac forums

P

Collapse -
Slight change of location here,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 9:36 AM PDT

the Previous Recipients list is hiding in the menu bar of Mail, under the Window option.

Delete that bad "erizon" email and you should not have the problem again

P

Collapse -
Missing posts,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 9:55 PM PDT

strange.

Last night I posted to say the MS does not have the same sort of thing in Entourage.

The only way to get rid of the automatic list of previous recipients is to find the offending file in Application Data.
Not sure where that is on a Mac, using Entourage, but it is either in the MS Users folder in Documents or is actually in the Application Data folder in the Username/library.

In Windows, that file ends in .NK2 Will have to wait for access to a Mac with Entourage before I can confirm/deny.

Wonder where the missing post went?

P

Collapse -
More information received.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 7:25 PM PDT

I received this further information from sshopkins via email as they were unable to post a reply in this discussion;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re 554 - relay access denied:
For some reason the site won't let me reply to your comment????
I didn't enter anything at all to the To field...just hit reply so it was automatically entered...same as any other time I've hit reply. Somehow what ended up in the To field wasn't the address to which I was replying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Collapse -
I don't have an answer to that,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 7:26 PM PDT

except to see if Pete's comments help.

Mark

Collapse -
by mioot / August 19, 2010 12:51 AM PDT

Did you enable "Server needs authentication" in your email client?

Collapse -
You did notice that the problem was solved
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 19, 2010 6:56 AM PDT

and was cause by an incorrect email address?

P

Collapse -
resolved
by sshopkins / August 19, 2010 6:14 PM PDT

All that was required was for the recipient to correct his incoming address. Nothing to do with any authentication, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.