jab1776,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for considering a Samsung.

A common question among consumers is how the new LED Technology differs from the current standard LCD Technology.

LCD traditionally uses a CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) backlighting system that runs across the rear internal portion of the unit to illuminate the LCD panel from behind. The lamp life is estimated at 60 thousand hours, enjoys a tremendous following of enthusiasts, and translates into years of enjoyment of an affirmed, reliable and trusted technology.

LED is relatively new on the market, and uses specialized versions of the LED lights that have been used for years. It allows panels to be lit either from behind the panel (replacing the CCFLs with LEDs), or from the side using an efficient energy friendly infrastructure that emits light evenly behind the panel in order to illuminate the entire LCD panel equally, called EDGE-LED. EDGE-LED Technology has a few additional benefits in that the design of the LED panel can be slimmer than traditional LCD panels, and addresses screen uniformity issues and reduces energy consumption and are also eco-friendly. The LEDs have a similar life to CCFL.

LED also has a few additional benefits, such as offering an accurate and natural color, as well as an increased performance with black levels. LED is also free from toxic materials, such as the non-existence of mercury, lead or volatile organic compounds.

So here's a quick breakdown between LCD and LED:

LCD has up to 15k:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio. LED has 3million:1
With the Broadcast Color Space (colors that broadcasters can transmit), you get almost 100% with an LCD. You get over 100% with LED.
Response time on an LCD can be as low as 4ms, LED can have as low as 2ms.
Resolution, Number of Inputs and Motion are roughly equivalent.

If you can't notice a picture difference between the two, then it probably doesn't justify paying for that difference.

I don't have a dollar figure, watts figure on the energy consumption, but I'm not sure at what point you'd see a significant difference on your monthly bill. It could differ from watching 2 hours a day, or if you watch 20 hours a day, but there are too many variables to compute how much you save, even if I knew how much a kw/h you pay.

I do hope that helps,

--HDTech