by penti01 / June 14, 2007 7:02 PM PDT

Currently i have this configuration for my desktop:

Intel P915GAV mobo
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
1.5 GB DDR RAM
1 x 320 GB 7200rpm HDD
GeForce 6200 TC GPU
1 x DVD-RW
1 x DVD-Rom (Optical Drives are connected via Y-cable splitter (power))
500W Power Supply

I'm planning to upgrade my GPU to a GeForce 7900GS and ADD another 320 GB HDD... both these need to be directly connected to the power supply, meaning i'm going to use another 2 Y-cable splitter for them. is my power supply going to handle all these? And i am a heavy computer user... 24x7 use of PC and maybe an 8 hour rest every week or two...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 500W Power Supply Capacity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 500W Power Supply Capacity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If cooling is in great shape.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2007 10:04 PM PDT

I think it will be fine. My kid has a similar setup with similar power supply.

Bob

Collapse -
Single Fan
by penti01 / June 14, 2007 10:19 PM PDT

right now, my mobo temperature monitor already goes up to high/critical as it is... i only have a single fan from my generic ATX case... how would it do if i just completely remove my side case? i don't have an option for liquid cooling coz it's not available in my country...

Collapse -
Yes, we leave the case cover off. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2007 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Single Fan

I haven't taken the time to punch a big hold in the case cover yet.

Good workaround.

Bob

Collapse -
What cooling do you use?
by penti01 / June 14, 2007 10:30 PM PDT

you said it's ok if cooling is great... if i leave my case off, i would have any fan (except for the power supply fan), but i would have a big hole... you think this is good enough?

Collapse -
sorry, typo
by penti01 / June 14, 2007 10:35 PM PDT

...if i leave my case off, i WOULDN'T have any fan (except for the power supply fan)...

Collapse -
SBF
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2007 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry, typo

Should be fine.

In fact I'd pull the case cover now since the high temps age the parts faster.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks again
by penti01 / June 14, 2007 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: SBF

you're good! are you a computer engineer or something?

Collapse -
Something like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2007 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks again
Collapse -
Home fans
by Willy / June 15, 2007 1:34 AM PDT

Use an AC desk personal 6in. fan or a "clamp-on" fan to direct airflow into the open system case. I've done this for yrs. when the old home is too hot and want to cool the system. I can probably use typical 120mm fans with a mtrbd./psu connection but the household fan does just fine and lessen the psu for that. When it gets real hot inside the house a 10in. fan is a back-up. Yeah, I don't live in a A/C cooled home, but for the bedroom. Sad

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?