Cameras forum

General discussion

500 of Less Camera -- POSTER size quality

by lleboeuf / September 23, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

I am a part of a team trying to pick out a Camera for a grant which has budgeted 500 for a new digital camera. The camera will be used for taking pictures of children in the classroom during the grant, and these pictures will then be blown up to Poster size.

I am trying to research what sort of numbers to be looking for in specifications of cameras when looking for good quality pictures at this size (up to larger posters - 20x30)

The camera will also be shared with others to take and re-size pictures to poster size to any media of their choosing.

I have read that a good lens and sensor is more important than megapixels. I am unsure what figures of the Camera description really tell me this -- and I'm not sure what is "good."

I'm assuming (please correct me) that a 10-12megapixel camera should be used but was hoping to find out what numbers to look for for lens quality and sensor quality. (What is the dpi?? and what # should I look for)

I also know that I need to make sure it will shoot "RAW" Will that simply be listed on the specifications?

Thank you SOOO much!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 500 of Less Camera -- POSTER size quality
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 500 of Less Camera -- POSTER size quality
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
one option

You might look at just renting a DSLR and a 50mm F1.8 lens to shoot during separate times. Unless you have kids staying still and using a tripod then you'll have to use a flash. An onboard flash will not look appealing, especially when blown up.

Collapse -
by Joliet Eddie / September 24, 2008 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: one option

For $500 there are several very nice dSLRs out there with good kit lenses:

Nikon D40
Sony A200
Olympus (forget which model)

Excellent Cameras that will do what you want. Good sensors, full control over exposures, etc. Easy to use, too.

Collapse -
in response
by lleboeuf / September 25, 2008 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: dSLR

Thank you!!

are there any specific specifications to look for that you could recommend?? Like, what is a 'good lens' -- is there some specific detail to be looking for in that.

So, for poster size prints I need a good lens and around 12 megapixels??

What about the ability to shoot RAW?

Collapse -
some areas of concern
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / September 25, 2008 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: in response

The kit lens that come with DSLRs are usually not bright enough for indoor. Many people choose a prime lens, such as a 50mm F1.8, or they go with an external flash.

Collapse -
by HTHMAN / September 26, 2008 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: in response

AS the previous poster noted-good choices.

The Nikon D40 is only 6MP and would be less suitable for poster size then the 10MP Sony A200.

I would get the Sony for the following reasons.
-Price is right at $500 with 18-70 zoom lens and the lens is plenty good enough for what you are doing,
-Camera has full auto mode available, so passing it around would be easy to learn and use
-Has image stabilization, so users are less likely to get blurry images from camera shaking
-Can shoot in RAW, JPEG or in RAW+JPEG if you desire.
-Accepts Minolta auto lenses and you can pick up a used 50mm f/1.7 for under $100 if you need a low light lens.
-very long battery life between charges (about 750 shots per charge)

Memory cards are not included with camera, so add that to your budget as well as any extra lenses you think you may need.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?