HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

50" PLASMA ON SALE AT COSTCO, $2600.

by BONSPEED / August 24, 2005 7:10 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 50" PLASMA ON SALE AT COSTCO, $2600.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 50" PLASMA ON SALE AT COSTCO, $2600.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
50" PLASMA ON SALE AT COSTCO, $2600.
by jcrobso / August 25, 2005 12:51 AM PDT

Yes this unit has a good picture. Have you called the company to find out more about them. Compare the unit with the Maxnet unit $1999 and the Pioneer unit $3000.
Remember this is a Display ONLY, it has NO tuners. John

Collapse -
50'' PLASMA ON SALE AT COSTCO, $2600.
by BONSPEED / August 25, 2005 2:49 AM PDT

That is correct, the unit does not have a tuner, but how important is that when the bulk of the population are either DISH, DIRECTV, or CABLE users.

I have seen the plasma at COSTCO and it does look very impressive, but you never know until you get it in a home enviroment.

Vizio is one of those 2nd tier companies that uses components from other manufacters. From my research, I found out that they use LG glass in this unit.

More importantly, with COSTCO's famous return policy, how can you lose?

Collapse -
Vizio p50HDM plasma price lowered to $2499 at Costco
by Mikeav / November 28, 2005 6:45 AM PST

I just purchased the Vizio P50HDM plasma TV at Costco for $2499. This is the new, reduced price per Costco and Vizio as of 11/25/05. I am very pleased with the picture from my DVD player (using component hookup) - excellent image quality, but the picture from my standard (not HD) Direct TV satellite hookup (using S video) is less than ideal. Some false contouring and some pictures are a little blurry. Some channels are worse than others. Not sure if this is typical of all HD TV's that are showing a standard definition broadcast, or if the Vizio is worse than others. Eventually I will upgrade to Direct TV high definition equipment, hopefully that will improve things. Not sure if the Panasonic or Pioneer plasma's do a better job of "up converting" standard def broadcasts, or if they do, if it warrants spending the additional $1 - 2,000 for that benefit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Very pleased with mines.
by BONSPEED / November 28, 2005 8:16 AM PST

I purchased mines back in Aug on there coupon book sale and I am very pleased with the unit. I have Comcast HD and the picture is very impressive. As far as standard the chanels are concern, they range from bad to ok. There may be models that do a better job with standard definition signals, but who wants to watch regular tv on a HD set anyway. I did break down and bought a HDMI cable, but the results were not impressive. In any case, you cant beat the price for a 50" plasma. Good luck with yours.

Collapse -
Thanks. Made some more adjustments
by Mikeav / November 29, 2005 7:21 AM PST

I played around some more with the various settings and managed to improve the standard Direct TV signal image. I'll be making the switch to Direct TV High Def sooner than I expected so I can maximize my enjoyment of the Vizio 50" plasma. For $2500 it is hard to argue that this is a screaming great deal for a really nice plasma TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.