The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

50% Of All BitTorrent Downloads are TV-Shows

by Owyn / February 14, 2008 2:25 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 50% Of All BitTorrent Downloads are TV-Shows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 50% Of All BitTorrent Downloads are TV-Shows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When will the entertainment industry TRY to keep up?
by PortVista-190953130350169 / February 14, 2008 10:34 PM PST

If the entertainment industry got on board with the rest of the world, THEY could be the ones unloading the TV shows on bit torrent in high quality with their commercials. Heck I wouldn't even care if the media file contacted a website to tell their advertisers I was watching it. But nooo we have to rip them and download them illegally just to watch the same thing we can get free on TV! lol!

Collapse -
Exactly
by Nicholas Buenk / February 15, 2008 7:57 AM PST

It's DRM that is holding them back, they want more control over distribution, and want to find ways of making more money than advertising can.
They're fiddling while rome burns basically.

Collapse -
Let's face it..
by surfpark / February 15, 2008 1:26 AM PST

TV shows are much more disposable than movies. Their appeal to be re-watched is almost zero, especially for serialized series. Its funny that almost all of the movies pirated had that 18-30 male demographic appeal. Obviously, these findings suggest that not everyone is using bittorrent.

Collapse -
Which are currently distributed for free over the air anyway
by Nicholas Buenk / February 15, 2008 7:56 AM PST

You'd think the TV industry might have figured by now that it would be a really good idea to distribute shows online for free advert supported.... People are going to keep pirating it until they get the same good value deal they get out of broadcast TV.

Collapse -
well my view
by mementh / February 15, 2008 10:43 AM PST

i used to bit torrent because i liked to watch on my ipod and i missed when they aired because i worked late 2nd shift.

Now i work for comcast, and I have not had a need to bit torrent with on demand and the DVR.

Its a matter of conviniance.. I get all my shows recorded automatically now.. and so what if there are commercials Happy

Collapse -
Not just value for money
by hosko / February 15, 2008 8:35 PM PST

Another part of this that should be taken into account is the fact that a show doesn't air the same time in every country around the globe. In fact it can take 6-12 months for some of the bigger shows from the states to make their way onto screens in countries like the UK and Australia.

I know I have an RSS feed in my Bit Torrent application to automatically download shows as they are post because I'm sick of seeing spoilers for shows online.

An example of this is Survivor which has shown a couple of episodes of the Favourites V Fans series yet in Australia we are only seeing the final episodes of the previous series and series 2 of Dexter still hasn't been shown. Here is an interesting article about Bit torrent and overseas countries: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-most-popular-in-australia/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?