Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

50% CPU usage

by Talib / August 15, 2007 2:49 AM PDT

Hi all,

From time to time, I experience a strange issue with my Windows XP SP2 system. The system will be normal until I perform some operation requiring opening a new window. Whether it's a new browser window from an already open browser or a new application, the application jumps to consuming 50% of my CPU -- always 50%. The app just about stops working and I'll End Task to close it. Another app will then jump to 50%. End that task and it jumps until it eventually lands on explorer.exe at 50%. At this point, all I can really do is reboot. The system will be fine for days and then I'll experience this again.

Virus scanners and spy software don't see anything. Anyone else seen anything like this and/or have any ideas?

I'm very tech savvy, but this one has me stumped.

Thanks,
Talib

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 50% CPU usage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 50% CPU usage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) System specs please.
by boisebird / August 15, 2007 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: 50% CPU usage
Collapse -
System specs
by Talib / August 15, 2007 5:57 AM PDT

HP Desktop w/ Windows XP Professional. Running E6400 processor with 2GB RAM. Video is NVIDIA GeForce 7300 set at 1280x1024. Typically run Firefox, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Thunderbird, Trillian and Microsoft Office 2007.

Collapse -
Talib
by tomron / August 15, 2007 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: System specs

What "Virus scanners and spy software' did you try?

You can try HOUSE CALL and AVG ANTISPYWARE,I suggest scanning in safe mode.

Tom

Collapse -
Seems to me
by Jackson Douglas / August 15, 2007 9:46 AM PDT

That Spybot has a program called TeaTimer, that will do something sort of like this. The idea behind the program is to keep any one program from hoarding CPU time. It's a symptom rather than disease sort of solution like pretty much all spyware removers, but it could explain the 50% aspect of things.

Collapse -
I Suspect Tea Timer (if you have) May Be....
by tobeach / August 15, 2007 4:25 PM PDT

something of a red herring. It's basic intent is to lock down over-all system settings to prevent malware from altering settings to it's advantage & your disadvantage. Additionally it requests your approval or denial of new changes to make you aware that something is going on.
Approve/Deny can be changed, after the fact, if need be.

It CAN & DOES cause conflict with some other protectors background guards, especially if they want to make changes. It IS possible that such conflict may slow of even hang computer processes.

I've just discovered such a case with TT & Comodo BOClean (computer hang during disabling LAN connection.).

If you have S&D, you can easily test by right clicking Tea Timer Icon (near clock) & select: " Exit SD Resident".
Does that clear up problem?
If you don't have/use Spybot....Than "never mind"...:D

Collapse -
Why it's 50% (instead of 100%)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2007 5:13 PM PDT

That's worth noting. The failed app can only tap one of your two CPUs in that dual core CPU.

Not that it means much to trouble shooting but someone asked me why it's only and exactly 50%.

Bob

Collapse -
Virus and spy scan
by Talib / August 15, 2007 10:59 PM PDT

I haven't used S&D. I've used Yahoo's anti-virus scan and Lavasoft's AdAware. They've been pretty reliable in the past. As for virus scanner, I've used both Housecall and AVG. Both report nothing.

Now, I didn't think about dual-core processor being the reason the rogue process uses only 50% of the CPU. That's an interesting idea. Anyone know if any utilities that point out which processes are using a particular "core"?

Thanks...

Collapse -
Just sharing (what I use)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2007 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus and spy scan

Today I head to google.com and type in EWIDO ONLINE and run that scan. It's very uptodate and has found things other scans haven't. Hint: I've found that multiple scanners are now needed.

As to the CPU I think task manager can do that but I'm on my single core machine right now so I can't check.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for That Info on Dual Core, Bob! Makes Sense! :D
by tobeach / August 16, 2007 2:53 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.