HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

$50.00 GPU Hmmm

by itsdigger / February 25, 2014 1:42 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: $50.00 GPU Hmmm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: $50.00 GPU Hmmm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Maybe he can't?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: $50.00 GPU Hmmm
Collapse -
Can't think of a reason
by itsdigger / February 25, 2014 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe he can't?

to have it though. The 6670 I have is doing everything I need. Unless the Nvidia would give me a better picture on my 32 in. flat screen tv I use for a monitor.
Maybe I'll try and jip him and offer $25 lol' Devil

Digger

Collapse -
Answer
For $50
by Jimmy Greystone / February 25, 2014 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: $50.00 GPU Hmmm

For $50, sure, that's like 1/3 of MSRP for that card. It's a sort of lower-mid range card, but for $50 you can't go THAT wrong. You could probably turn around and sell it for $75-$100 on eBay or Craigslist without much difficulty.

Also, do your friend a favor and tell him not to bother with the whole bitcoin mining thing. Unless you have dedicated hardware, by this point, you'll be lucky if you mine enough to be able to pay for the increased electricity bill. The part most news stories about bitcoin leave out is that each successive bitcoin is harder and harder to complete. All the easy ones and then some have been mined already. Plus the Mr. Gox story from today should be enough to give everyone a moment of pause. Whether or not you want to try your luck with some other bitcoin exchange is your business, but it kind of exposes one of the fundamental flaws with digital currencies. You can't stuff it in a mattress, it's not FDIC insured... You might say that with credit and debit cards we're basically using digital dollars (or pounds or euros or whatever), but if you lose your debit card the money in your bank account doesn't go poof along with it. An ill-timed HDD crash could result in you losing a bunch of money with bitcoin, like the story of some guy who tossed out a HDD with a few hundred grand worth of bitcoins on it.

If you want to plunk down about $20K on some dedicated mining hardware, you might be able to recoup your expenses and make a small profit. Trying to just use a single video card and CPU on a desktop computer and you'll dig yourself a very deep hole when you factor in the cost of electricity. If you're going to waste CPU/GPU cycles on something, waste them on Folding@Home or Seti@Home. At least then you might be part of helping to find a cure for some types of cancer or even prove that there's intelligent life somewhere other than Earth.

Collapse -
LOL
by itsdigger / February 25, 2014 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: For $50

no wonder he said he can't bit mine with this card ROFL . Well this guy's one of those people that knows everything about everything (omnipotent in his own mind) and you can't tell him anything so, let him mine to China with a teaspoon if he wants,or spend that 20K like you're talkin'. I never even heard of bit mining before this last weekend.I don't think I want to know any more either lol. I heard what you're talking about on the news today with all of that missing money.

Like I said earlier, the 6670's working just fine , if he say's he'll let the 750ti go for $25 or $30 , maybe I'll take it but for $50, meh, he can keep it.

Digger

Collapse -
Hah Got it
by itsdigger / February 26, 2014 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: LOL

$45.00. Good looking card. Might have to put it in the Win 8.1 i5 computer for when the niece wants to play some games. That guy went out and spent around $700.00 for some R9 GPU lol and that bit miner site is down. ROFL Devil

How did W.C Fields put it , Never Give A Sucker An Even Break

Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.