General discussion

5 species on the brink of extinction ?

by grimgraphix / October 12, 2008 5:15 AM PDT
the dugong
the vaquita
the Iberian lynx
the leatherback turtle
the Mediterranean monk seal

Some are in imminent danger... a few not so much. What it comes down to though, is that in order to protect any animal in todays world, changing human behavior is the deciding factor. I was listening to a show last night on the science channel that stated that human construction has now become the largest contributor to the physically changing face of the planet. That means that all the earth quakes and volcano's, tsunamis and hurricanes, have less of an immediate impact on the face of our planet than all the land clearing, and civil engineering projects going on right now.

One of the favorite scrums to join into here on SE is the veracity of man made global warming. The reality is that man is not just having an atmospheric impact on the planet... but we have taken the place of volcanoes and erosion. The interesting thing about this is that we only began making our first crude metal tools a mere 5000 years ago.

Something to think about.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 5 species on the brink of extinction ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 5 species on the brink of extinction ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to remind some of them of their responcibilities
by Dango517 / October 12, 2008 5:55 AM PDT

Seems there's a little more to it then just dominion over the Earth ....... Noah and the Rainbow are especially important. They only see what the want too .......... Remind them and remind them again. In reality they should be fighting for these with you and beside you. Hold them accountable to their own beliefs.

Ezekiel 34:17-18. As for you, my flock... Is it not enough for you to feed on good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is it not enough for you to ink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet?

Exodus 23:2. Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong.

Genesis 9:8-9. Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: "I now establish my covenant with you and your descendants after you and with every living creature that was with you - the birds, the livestock, and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you - every living Creature on the earth."

Genesis 9:12-13. And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will he the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.

Isaiah 24:4-6. The earth dries up and withers, the world languished and withers, the exalted of the earth languish. The earth lies under its inhabitants; for they have transgressed the laws, violated the statutes, and broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse consumes the earth; its people must bear their guilt.

Jer. 2:7. I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruit and rich produce. But you came and defiled my land and you made my inheritance detestable.

Lev. 25:23-24. The land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants. Throughout the country that you hold as a possession, you must provide for the redemption of the land.

Revelation 11:18. The nations were angry and your wrath has come. The time has come for rewarding your servants the prophets and your saints and those who reverence your name, both small and great - and for destroying those who destroy the earth.

1 Peter 3:17. It is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right, rather than for doing what is wrong.

Collapse -
I would suggest
by Dango517 / October 12, 2008 6:11 AM PDT

that you watch closely how quickly any post with a moderate to left leaning disappears from view. How Right and hard right views remain in view and how any moderate to left leaning post are overwhelmed by negative comments. Be careful if you stay, that you do not break the forum rules. I would suggest if you stay here you have a few like minded people assist you. Be prepared to take a mental and emotional beating. This is a battle ground.

Good luck, you will need it!

Collapse -
(NT) Did I mention their cunning
by Dango517 / October 13, 2008 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I would suggest
Collapse -
We in a way help them by
by Dango517 / October 16, 2008 12:21 PM PDT

responding, then the lot of them can rally around a moderate view point overwhelm it, there by making their thoughts appear to be in the majority.

Remember most of them have been doing this a very long time, years in fact.

Why, because this forum receives many 10,000's of thousands of views per month. It's a desperate attempt to win "hearts and minds" for conservative ideas and believes.

Collapse -
I have to wonder how important it is to prevent
by Steven Haninger / October 12, 2008 8:28 AM PDT

the extinction of other species. We all know that was going on long before man inhabited the earth as a very natural process. When we consider that the existence of mankind has been detrimental to the planet, I have to wonder....what if we could recreate the atmosphere, food supply, microbes, etc., that the earliest people were born into.....could we survive in that same world? If not, maybe it's just as foolish to try to back up as it is to move faster. Our day to move over will come inevitably. Happy

Collapse -
99%
by critic411 / October 12, 2008 8:41 AM PDT

of all species EVER on this planet no longer exist.

Collapse -
So humans are part of the last 1%
by Steven Haninger / October 12, 2008 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: 99%

that remain. Odds not good. Maybe only a few tens of thousands of years left. Time to get my affairs in order.

Collapse -
(NT) What makes you think it is the last 1%?
by critic411 / October 12, 2008 10:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Currently the last 1%.
by Kees Bakker / October 13, 2008 4:14 AM PDT

100 - 99 = 1.

Of course, there can come many new species in the few billion years before life on earth is devoured by the expanding sun. That's called evolution.
But those don't exist yet.

Kees

Collapse -
DUH !!!!
by critic411 / October 13, 2008 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Currently the last 1%.

It's not the LAST 1% because there can always be currently MORE then 1% and there will be another 1% in the future.

Collapse -
I wondered, too
by Cindi Haynes / October 15, 2008 5:15 AM PDT

About times when humans have "saved" beached whales, sea lions, etc. What if beaching themselves is what the sick or weak animals do as a normal behavior, preventing infection of the rest of the animals? Could humans have inadvertantly caused the demise of more creatures by helping these creatures get back to the sea?

Collapse -
(NT) Yep!!!
by critic411 / October 15, 2008 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I wondered, too
Collapse -
There appears to be a reason why
by Angeline Booher / October 13, 2008 4:01 AM PDT

...... different species exist. If we have not found why for those on this list does not mean there is not one, and it could be important.

But we tend to slough off that which we do not know.

BTW, te first written language was about the same time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/334517.stm

In my lifetime built jet engines and airplanes , the USA sent men to the moon and brought them back, landed some robotic machines on Mars that have sent back excting data and photos, put computers into homes, etc.

We have a lot to learn, and are still learning.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) Think of species like Jenga pieces.
by Dan McC / October 13, 2008 4:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hey! It's our damn planet!
by Dan McC / October 13, 2008 4:31 AM PDT

If we wanna kill off everything bigger than a virus then that's our business.

What's it to you, fella???

Dan

Collapse -
Let's see now ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 13, 2008 4:52 AM PDT

it is the same people who constantly claim Darwon's THEORY to be "scientific fact" who get emotional over the extinction of a species regardless of cause.

That is really STRANGE when one pauses to reflect on the matter because Darwin's own theory can be boiled down to SURVIVAL of the FITTEST.

Spin things however you want but species were dying out long before man appeared in the geological record and have continued to do just that. Strangely enough the same geological record shows rather clearly that the climate has warmed and cooled several times both before and after the advent of man. -- That is called life and cycles and they will continue regardless of what man does or does not do.

Collapse -
life and cycles and they will continue regardless of what ma
by JP Bill / October 13, 2008 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's see now ...

life and cycles and they will continue regardless of what man does or does not do.

Man cannot kill off a species?

Collapse -
Some quick input on one:
by drpruner / October 14, 2008 2:04 PM PDT

The lynxes are being pushed out by the bigger and more aggressive bobcat. So maybe one will survive at the expense of the other. The "niche" is still filled.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?