Computer Help forum

General discussion

5 min loading time for programs?! Computer acting geriactric

Hello,

If anyone could give me a few tips on what I can do to speed up my computer that would be great. I'll set out my problem for you: for the past few months, my notebook (Compaq Presario 2500, about 2.5 years old) has become incredibly slow at loading up programs straight after startup.

For example: when I start my computer, it'll boot up and log on to Windows in a normal sort of time. But, once Windows has logged on, for example, and if I double-click on the Firefox icon to open up my browser, then the mouse arrow becomes the hour-glass for about ten seconds... and then nothing. The hour-glass turns back into an arrow and sometimes I have to wait up to 12 minutes for Firefox to open! Opening folders is no problem, it's just programs that take FOREVER. Even if I try to keep opening the program, or try to open other programs it still takes at least 6 minutes to intially load a program. But once I have managed to get one program open, the problem (usually) goes away for the rest of my computer session.

In terms of the general state of my system, I reformatted my hard drive about 8 months ago, and I keep my system running pretty lean to try and maintain performance. No other programs are scheduled to run on start-up aside from my firewall (Comodo) and antivirus program (AVG). I run spyware and antivirus sweeps every few days, my hard disk is defragged every week (if it needs it), cookies and temp folder regularly emptied. I've even moved most of my data over to the desktop on my home network so that I'm only using about 7 gigs out of 40gigs at any one time. I also try to keep the total number of installed programs on my system to the absolute minimum.

HELP! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do you think it's just time to give my notebook the boot?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 5 min loading time for programs?! Computer acting geriactric
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 5 min loading time for programs?! Computer acting geriactric
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One thought

In reply to: 5 min loading time for programs?! Computer acting geriactric

While it shouldn't be causing problems this extreme, the IDE-DMA bug in XP bites quite a few people and can cause a pretty serious performance hit. Hopefully Mr. Proffitt will be by before you read this to post a link to the MSKB article that outlines the basic problem and one possible solution.

I might also be inclined to think that your hard drive is heading south. While 2.5 years seems very early for a drive to die, you might just have gotten one of the "lucky" drives. The ones that die really early to keep statistical harmony with the world for those drives that keep going forever.

Even if your drive is fine, backing up your important data is never a bad idea, so I'd suggest doing that post haste. If the drive does die, it will likely do so soon and suddenly, and you'll be glad you backed up your data if it does. Once Mr. Proffitt is so kind as to provide a link to the IDE-DMA bug article, you can set about testing it.

Collapse -
Not Mr Proffitt, But Here's That DMA Toggle Link

Collapse -
Success!

Thanks John and Grif for your advice - I made the DNA changes and have rebooted twice now. The problem with loading up programs straight after startup seems to have disappeared, which is great!

I also took your backup advice John - considering that most of the time my laptop is a rival for a Boeing 747 in terms of fan noise and overheating, I wouldn't be surprised if my poor little Presario kicked the bucket sometime soon...

Thanks again! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.