Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

5.8 ghz or 2.4ghz cordless phone

by jacksul / October 10, 2005 6:39 AM PDT

have a 5.8 ghz uniden cordless phone on 1st story of home. also have a 2.4 ghz uniden on second floor of home and works ok. i have a wireless router for laptop on 1st floor. changed channels on 5.8 ghz and changed the battery on the handset but still get static. is it the 5.8 ghz or just a bum phone? don't understand why the 5.8 versus 2.4. could someone explain in plain talk for me ? thanks
jack

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 5.8 ghz or 2.4ghz cordless phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 5.8 ghz or 2.4ghz cordless phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll write bum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 6:42 AM PDT

The 5.8GHz should be unaffected by the 2.4GHz devices. It may get flightly at some distance from the base, but in the same room should be fine.

Bob

Collapse -
5.8 GHz Phones
by jimdad / October 10, 2005 7:02 AM PDT

These phones should be fine. I had a problem with 2.4 GHz phones causing my wireless connection to drop given they work at near identical frequency of the router. Wireless network uses Netgear Rangemax and Netgear USB. Even though computer signal was strong the 2.4 GHzphones would kick it out whenever a wireless 2.4 GHz was anwered. It didn't matter if the phone was not even near the router or USB.

I have 4 wireless phones throughout the house now on 5.8 GHz including one near (<8 ft.) to the router and another within a foot of the USB. No problems at all now with phone interference either for the router or the phones.

I believe (I may be wrong) 5.8 GHz phones may have more range than other phones so your interference may relate to other phones in your area.

Jim

Collapse -
I have not heard...
by Dick White / October 12, 2005 2:41 AM PDT

...that the 2.4GHz frequency band of wireless networking gear has ever caused problems for a cordless phone, only the other way around. We frequently get the question of ''Why does my wireless connection to the internet disappear whenever I answer my (2.4GHz) cordless phone,'' but I've never seen asked ''Why does my cordless phone go dead/have burst of static whenever I send an email from my wireless laptop.'' It seems whenever there is a conflict, the microwave ovens and cordless phones always win.

Adding to that, your problematic phone is a 5.8GHz model. That's a completely different frequency band. If there is a radio signal conflict, it should be with a device on the same band, not the 2.4GHz band - unless there is a defect in the radio emitter of one or another specific device that is spilling a whole spectrum of garbage frequencies into the air, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Shifting now to troubleshooting mode - what happens when you turn off your wifi equipment (all of it - router and computer(s))? Do you still get the static on the phone? What happens if you put the 5.8GHz unit downstairs and the 2.4GHz unit upstairs? Do you still get the static? Can you take the problematic set to a friend's house, plug it in there, and make a call? Is there still static? Just some ideas to narrow down whether the unit is bum, or the location you are using it in is bum. I don't think there is interference from your wifi, it is something else.

dw

Collapse -
I hope this gets to you
by Kitty I / August 15, 2006 5:56 PM PDT
In reply to: I have not heard...

I had just sent the following message to CNet, when I did a cordless phone search through CNet and found your answer. You sound like you might know a thing or two about cordless phones. The only additional information I can give you in addition to the following not is that I am currently using a 5.8 GHz cordless. I STILL GET STATIC. It is so annoying!!

''Although it's not really a computer or network question, I'd like to know what your subscribers think the best cordless phone is. I've had bad luck and the expensive sets don't seem to be any better than the cheap ones. They all wind up having static breaking in on my conversations. It's very annoying. I keep them charged up, should I be letting them run down? The only really good cordless phone set I have ever used belonged to a friend. It was a Seimens. By the time I could afford to get it...I saved for quite a while...they were no longer available anywhere. Phones with cords don't even seem to be much better.

''So, would you consider helping me out here?

''Could you ask the readers what they think for me, please?

''Or if you have some good info...I need some.

''Thanks a million!

''Kitty Ichelson''

If this gets to you and you can give me some insight...brands, prices, GHz's, nothing seems to make a difference. Except I never heard static on my friend's phone, the Seimens and they can't be found anymore. Do ham set interfer? CB radios? PASSING AIRPLANES???? I can't figure it out.

Kitty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.