Speakeasy forum

General discussion

49ers player dies after practice game

by Evie / August 21, 2005 9:19 AM PDT
49ers Await Word on Herrion's Cause of Death

DENVER ? The cause of offensive lineman Thomas Herrion's (search) death cannot be determined until toxicology tests are performed, a process that usually takes three to six weeks, a coroner said Sunday.

The 23-year-old offensive guard for the San Francisco 49ers (search) collapsed in the locker room Saturday night, minutes after the team's exhibition game against the Broncos on a 65-degree evening in mile-high Denver. He was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead shortly after.

"We didn't see anything happen," 49ers defensive lineman Marques Douglas (search) said. "I sat by my locker and prayed for him."

Howard Daniel, an investigator with the Denver coroner's office that performed an autopsy on Herrion, said nothing was readily apparent about why he died.

"There's no conclusion, pending further studies," Daniel said.

The death once again spotlights how dehydration and obesity affect athletes, especially the huge linemen who play in the NFL.

Herrion was 6-foot-3, 310 pounds ? fairly average for an NFL lineman, but considered obese within standards routinely accepted by the medical community.

"Our thoughts are with the Herrion family and the 49ers," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Sunday. "We have been in contact with the 49ers throughout the day to offer our assistance and to learn the details of what happened."

Herrion, who played in college at Utah, was on the field for San Francisco's 14-play, 91-yard drive that ended with a touchdown with 2 seconds left in the game. After the game, he was noticeably winded as he walked off the field, but didn't look much different than teammates who played beside him at game's end.

They were showing the video this morning on TV of him walking off the field. He didn't look terribly winded, but he seemed to be struggling with perhaps faintness/dizziness or some other strange feeling as it appeared he was blinking kinda oddly. Seems he was a nice young man. How very sad Sad
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 49ers player dies after practice game
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 49ers player dies after practice game
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll Comment On This Now...
by gooslojo / August 21, 2005 10:08 AM PDT

...before the assinine mudslinging starts rolling in from people who have never seen 10 seconds of a football game.

It is a tragedy, regardless of the circumstances.

Collapse -
Why on earth would you expect ...
by Evie / August 21, 2005 10:56 AM PDT

... "assinine mudslinging" to "roll in" over a tragedy like this?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Only If The Autopsy Reveals Drugs
by gooslojo / August 21, 2005 4:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
This is...
by null. / August 21, 2005 7:40 PM PDT

How ''assinine mudslinging'' starts, with one comment off the cuff.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And You Jumped Right IN
by gooslojo / August 22, 2005 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: This is...
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) As an advocate of "Lets wait and see"
by null. / August 22, 2005 5:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Fair Enough
by gooslojo / August 22, 2005 7:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
So if drugs are found ...
by Evie / August 21, 2005 10:45 PM PDT

... and someone that doesn't follow football registers an opinion you presume it will be "assinine mudslinging".

Thanks for the warning. I suggest you recuse yourself from any further discussion should this prove the case.

If drugs are found, it only makes this case ever the more tragic :(, but Herrion himself will not be immune from criticism for having taken the drugs in the first place.

Collapse -
The Man vs. The Story
by gooslojo / August 22, 2005 12:26 AM PDT

"I suggest you recuse yourself from any further discussion"-- It is my intention and was the point of my post.
No need to be defensive.SE and FORUMS ALL AROUND THE WORLD will be commenting on the intense media coverage.THE STORY will thrive and The Man will be forgotten.

Collapse -
So your summary of "the man"
by Evie / August 22, 2005 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: The Man vs. The Story

is that this is a tragedy. If you had any interest in the man you might have shared what you knew about HIM. I at least shared that he sounded like a "good guy" -- I based this on comments made by teammates for TV reports and his desire to buy his Mom a nice home as a first gesture after "making it big".

Collapse -
There Are 3 Posters In This Thread.....
by gooslojo / August 22, 2005 7:10 AM PDT

I am one of them.
A second poster seems to understand my point.
A third is making a mountain out of a molehill.
If the shoe fits....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.