HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

480I and 480P and 720 oh my!

by tommy_c / October 22, 2007 7:04 PM PDT

I want to hook up my PS3 to a flat-screen LCD TV so I can enjoy the games in their glorious Hi-Def imagery. I also want to be able to view the TV channels that are available in HD, but I am confused.
(1.) What should I be looking for in an LCD TV? 480I? 480P? 720?
(2.) I have found a variety of something called HDMI cables for the PS3, some being quite expensive,... which do I purchase? Are there differences, besides the price?
In other words, I want to purchase my first LCD TV and watch channels that are currently broadcasting in HD. I also want to watch Blue-Ray movies and enjoy Hi-Def gaming thanks to my PS3. What resolution (for the TV) and what cables do I need? Lastly, I am looking for a "beginner" or "starter" LCD TV - something that won't break the bank, but get me up and running. Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 480I and 480P and 720 oh my!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 480I and 480P and 720 oh my!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
4801 and 480p...
by stuntman_mike / October 23, 2007 1:07 AM PDT

are standard definition resolutions not HD. HD starts with 720p and goes to 10801 and 1080p. So you want a 720p/1080i TV at a minimum. 1080p would be ideal if you have the money and are getting a screen at least 50".

As far as HDMI cables go they are all basically the same. You should get cables that are not so cheap that they fall apart, but you do not need $300+ gold plated Monster HDMI cables. When you are dealing with analog cables like component, S-Video, or composite, then getting super fat gold plated expensive cables can add some picture quality improvements. But when you are dealing with digital cables like HDMI, there is no difference. Analog is a wavelength. It's strenght of signal varies and can be affected by outside interference. Digital is 0's and 1's. There is no variation. It is either on or off. If you are getting a signal you are getting the signal, not part of it. Again the only concern should be that you spend enough on the HDMI cable (I would say in the $30 and up range) that it is well amde, does not fall apart, and does not fit so loosely in the HDMI connector on your TV that it just falls out (I have heard of $10 HDMI cables doing that).

As far as a starter LCD that I would reccommend, I would need to know what you are looking to spend and what size TV you want and whether it is absolutely necessary that you get an LCD. There are plenty of Rear Projection TVs that will produce a better image than a lot of flat LCDs, especially if you are looking for a budget LCD. You could also get a 50" or even larger 1080p RPTV for less than a cheap, smaller LCD that will not have the same picture quality. It is up to you of course, but it is something to think about. Going flat is the cool in thing to do , and there is nothing wrong with that, but know that the TV will cost 50" flat TV will cost $1000 sometimes even triple that of a 50" RPTV, and not even be 1080p (All RPTVs nowadays are 1080P, not so with flat panel). You are basically paying $1000 and up more for the same or less PQ, just because it's flat. There are flat TVs that have better PQ than RPTVs to be sure, but you will pay an arm and a leg for those. And you definitely won't find a Vizio or a Westinghouse that will compare to an SXRD or some of the better DLPs.

CNet could give you a better idea about what Tv to choose than I can. Check out their reviews. It should give you a good foundation for which direction to go in.

Good luck

Collapse -
HD starts at the 720 level of resolution
by NM_Bill / October 23, 2007 6:39 AM PDT

For more discerning (& likewise more expensive) concerns like Blu Ray & HD gaming, one would be focused on 1080 to receive their full potential. For my opinion (& probably your budget) I wouldn't bother with 1080 though admittedly that is the future standard.

Do not accept any info pushing you into some sort of "premium" & much overpriced cables. Sam' Club is a good source for Phillips brand HDMI cables at around $28. A favorite online source is http://www. monoprice.com

Bear in mind your signal source, such as cable, etc. will have to have subscription for HD level service in order for you to receive HD. And not all programming by an HD channel will be in HD.

You haven't stated specific budget. That is useful for recommendations by us posters here. Please get acquainted with the CNET HD primer info at this site & pay heed to CNETs specific model reviews.

Happy hunting

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.