Cameras forum

General discussion

47th Digital Store, New York - Purchase of Eurocam DV 6007

by Micket69 / September 15, 2006 5:12 AM PDT

On the 16th April this year, I went into the 47th Digital store in Times Square NYC to enquire about a Camcorder. The salesman demonstated to me what he claimed to be the latest camera from Panasonic. He stated that the list price was over $1,400 but with Panasonic cashback and dealer discount I could have the camcorder for $1,000 plus taxes. It seemed a good deal so I agreed the purchase. As I was travelling back to the UK later that day the salesman stated that he would put the invoice and Panasonic guarantee in the box. When I arrived home and unpacked the camcorder I was surprised to see that it was a "Eurocan DV6007" made by SVP and could be purchased new on the internet for $120. I sent the package back to 47th Digital and asked for a full refund - the camera was returned to me marked "REFUSED".

I purchased the camcorder using my Capital One Visa card. Under UK law the credit card company is equally liable under "Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act" if there was misrepresentation or breach of contract. As this was clearly the case, I proceeded with my claim to Capital One and have now received a full refund under the terms of the act.

Two lessons to be learned from my experience
(1) NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM 47th. DIGITAL
(2) ALWAYS USE YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR PURCHASES OVER

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 47th Digital Store, New York - Purchase of Eurocam DV 6007
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 47th Digital Store, New York - Purchase of Eurocam DV 6007
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Eurocam
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 6:39 AM PDT

Thanks for the information.
Good to hear that Visa supported you claim.

I have seen several posts about Eurocam and the 47th Digital Store.

Doing a Google search only turns up two Eurocam sites and neither appear to be associated with a digital camcorder.

I checked the SVP website and do not find a DV 6007 but I do find a DV 8007. There is no mention of Eurocam.

If the camera you bought is anything like the DV 8007, $120 sounds right for a retail price.

A Canon A410 would be a better choice at $99. And it has a 3X optical zoom.

SVP does not make cameras, they import cameras and put their name on them. Their don't appear to do any direct selling.....only selling to dealers.

Collapse -
NEVER EVER Buy Anything From Store In NYC....
by Psych Doc / September 19, 2006 3:22 AM PDT

...Unless it's one of the ones that are reputable. 47th St. Photo, B&H Photo, or a handful of other unless you buy it in person and see the item arrive from the back in a factory sealed box. Insist on opening the box to insure that everything promised is in there and that it has a valid USA warranty.

Then and only then pay.

Collapse -
Other forum on this case..
by david.uk55 / September 27, 2006 7:11 PM PDT

All,

There is another forum regarding this case.
I have posted there a link to this forum, as it seems that micket69's case is the first success in the last 3 months.

In case you want to take a look at that, please go to:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=191769&messageID=2173051

A complaint has been filed to NYC Consumer Affairs dep. and to Better Business Bureau (see there the relevant case numbers).

Collapse -
EUROCAM DIGITAL CAMERA 12 MEGA PIXELS
by ZWECKER / December 11, 2006 6:27 AM PST

AFTER PURCHASING THIS CAMERA IN 47TH DIGITAL WHILE ON HOLIDAY 6TH 12 06 ON RETURNING HOME I HAVE FOUND THAT THIS CAMERA WIL NOT CHARGE TO OPERATE I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL CAMERA SHOPS AT HOME HERE N IRELAND AND THEY CANNOT HELP ME AFTER READING REVIEWS ON LINE I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED I BOUGHT THIS ITEM VIA MASTERCARD AND WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF U COULD ADVISE REGARDING REPLACEMENT OR CLAIMING BACK I HAVE NEVER BEEN INTHIS SITUATION BEFORE AND WOULD APPRECIATE ADVISE FROM ANYONE OUT THERE DO I SEND THIS ITEM TO ADDRESS ON WARRENTY SLIP EUROCAM 21 WEST 46TH ST NEWY YORK OR IS THERE ANOTHER ROUTE

Collapse -
Eurocam
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 11, 2006 9:45 AM PST

You should contact Mastercard and tell them your story.

Ask them what steps you should take to get your money back.

Most likely they are already familiar with that store in New York.

Collapse -
I got scammed also
by terrorific / December 27, 2006 10:27 PM PST

I went in looking for digital camcorder and of course didnt know much about them So gives me this poxy Isonic cam that I never heard telling me that the mother company was toshiba and were oh so great.
He sold it to me for $399 and sold me a 1 GB of SD memory for $75, jesus what was i thinking, all for $514 inc TAX. I recently got a 2 GB from ebay for $30. And me thinking it was a great bargain, oh how wrong I was.
I recently found the same poxy camcorder on ebay for $140. I absolutly disgusted. There are a shower of shitbags, daylight robbers.
And the unfortunate thing is that there will be more people like me who think these are really good bargains.
I have been thought a lesson!

Collapse -
47th Digital, New York
by Dboersma / July 24, 2007 2:03 PM PDT

I, too, had a terrible experience with 47th Digital over the Memorial Day holiday. To my everlasting regret, they convinced me that I needed an Olympus picture card for my camera, because that's the only card that would work properly in my camera. The salesman told me the card cost $147, but was on sale for $120. Never having bought a camera card before, I believed him and bought it. I did some research when I got home and discovered that the exact same card was for sale at both my local camera store and online for only $19.99. I believe they preyed on me because I was a tourist and a woman and I was ripe for the picking, so to speak. We are going back again on Labor Day and I'll be talking with this store. What they did, if not illegal, is certainly morally wrong. PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS STORE. They're a bunch of con artists.

Collapse -
Puchase of Panasonic Lumic DMC FX150
by Jameison / March 28, 2009 6:46 AM PDT

They got me as well earlier today. I impulse purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC FX150. When I later rang them and pointed out that the camera was not the latest, they offered me another one for and additional $120 which I found on the internet for even less than the one I bought. I paid $412 for a $150 camera. I also stupidly didn't check my receipt and they said it would be $360 but charged me $412. Luckily I purchsed it with my AMEX card tso I'll be onto them first thing Monday morning. We did wonder why a) they could afford premises on 5th Avenue and b) why they had so many heavies around. Never mind, lesson learned. If I hadn't been trying to save money on internet charges I would have Googled it whilst in the store.

Collapse -
Mastercard
by Anastasios73 / July 6, 2011 12:09 AM PDT

I was also scammed by these guys and the lady at mastercards said if I signed it that I can't do anything about it, even if I find something at a cheaper price. I told her it's not cheaper, it was 200 percent overcharged and it was misrepresented. She said she can't do anything. Is this something unique to England? I'm in Canada.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?