HolidayBuyer's Guide

LG forum

General discussion

47LW5600/6500 or Vizio xvt3d474SV

by Slice57 / August 10, 2011 7:19 AM PDT

I've been in the market for a new tv now for about a month. After doing tons of research, I've come down to the LW5600/6500 (depending on price) or the Vizio xvt3d474sv.

Positives of the LG:

Passive 3D
Thin
Cool Remote
Non-glossy Screen
Great looking picture*

Negatives:

More expensive and at the top of my $1000 budget (probably $150 more then the Vizio on Amazon Warehouse)

Edge Lit which means there can be the flashlight effect on dark scenes.

Only 120 Hz (could go up to the 6500 but that adds $50 or so from Amazon Warehouse)

Vizio Positives:

More Apps including Pandora
Full Array LED (should decrease any issues with flashlight effect in corners)
Great picture
480Hz refresh rate
Cheaper (around $900 new)

Negatives:

Glossy Screen
Thicker (probably not an issue since it won't be on the wall)
Active 3D glasses are far more expensive (However I can get two free sets now through Amazon).
Brand reliability is unknown.

Can anyone please post their thoughts between the two TVs. Thank you so much for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 47LW5600/6500 or Vizio xvt3d474SV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 47LW5600/6500 or Vizio xvt3d474SV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LG.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 7:26 AM PDT

Frankly after a few Vizio deaths in the family we'll let them keep them and nod to the LG.

Collapse -
cinema 3D
by ayresanna / August 17, 2011 4:47 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Personally, I lean towards Cinema 3D because it gives the 3D effect that you want from your money, so don't worry about the budget. It also comes with four free pairs of 3D glasses. Which addresses your problem of expensive active 3D glasses... think about long-term, buying Cinema 3D may seem more expensive but what if you're having friends over or you break/lose one of your glasses? LG's are so much easier to replace and get more of. I hear they're less than 15 bucks.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Also, I recently learned the active 3D is bad for your health!! Crazy, right?
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">So yeah, stick to passive 3D and in that section, Cinema 3D is safest choice, I think.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Hope it helps!

Collapse -
LG
by woncho48 / August 21, 2011 5:14 PM PDT

I personally like LG Cinema 3D better. I had the same dilemma as you when I was looking for a 3D TV. It's true that Vizio's 3D TVs are cheaper but they don't have some of LG Cinema 3D's features such as 2D to 3D conversion and magic remote. Refresh rate shouldn't be that big of a problem because 120 Hz is more than high enough to watch any fast moving sports or play action game. I got LG Cinema 3D and am very much satisfied with it.

Collapse -
If you haven't purchased your TV yet...
by NicoleB111 / December 30, 2011 2:41 PM PST
In reply to: LG

About 6 months ago, my niece purchased the 47" LG Smart TV that I was looking to purchase & it is great & very easy to use. As far as price goes, she purchased it at the same place that I plan to purchase mine when they get it back in stock, which is a particular Home Shopping Network, which delivers it to your door (NOW) @ NO shipping cost & offers payments that are spread out over 5 months with NO interest charges...and definitely within your price range. They also offer a 55" that I am considering, while I'm waiting for the 47" to come back in stock. I have a Visio now & I really do like it, but I really like the quality of LG (Not to mention it is Consumer Report's 2012 #1 LED TV), but I like all that they offer. Good Luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.