46C is my ideal temp, is that normal?

AMD64 3000+
6600Gt PCI-E
1 gig PC 3200 Ram
160 HDD

when i play games it goes up to 62C

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 46C is my ideal temp, is that normal?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 46C is my ideal temp, is that normal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Idle temp maybe?

If you mean 46C is your IDLE temp for such a CPU, then yes, that's pretty normal. It's maybe a bit on the high side if it's a Socket 939 3000+, since it's clocked 200MHz slower than the 754 3000+, but AMD CPUs are designed to withstand temps up to 90C, so you've got almost a full 30C to go before you start having serious problems.

Generally speaking, anything under 65C is considered good. However, if you're really worried about it, NewEgg tends to sell 80mm case fans for about $1/ea. They're nothing special, but they will help increase air flow in your case, which can help cool your CPU.

- Collapse -
AMD has reduced that 90C to 70C

or 75C max depending on the specific model.

I think that it, in a way compensates for the fact that they added a heat spreader like Intels. and thus the actual core temp is not really available. Maybe they are allowing for the difference between core and the heat spreader, EXCEPT the sensor in the socket is at the bottom of the CPU and should read closer to the core temp.

As you say, that 46C is liveable, but passing a lot more air through the case should help getting it down at least 6 dgrees.

AMD's thermal design for their retail HSF is done at 40C air at the heatsink and insures that the CPU temp will be OK, but that temp is still high. AMD says to keep the interior ambient air temp 1/2 to 1 inch from the HSF hub to 7C [12F]degrees or less above the external ambient. Of course the room ambient can vary easily by 5 degrees.

CNET Forums

Forum Info