Samsung forum

General discussion

46A650 versus 46B650

by Zapple23 / April 2, 2009 12:51 AM PDT

I am looking to pick up one of these two sets. Besides the contrast, sound and "touch of color" what do I need to know about the two of these sets? Is the better contrast on the B the better reason to get this versus the A? Is it that much of a difference because between the red and black I prefer the aesthetics of the A.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Zapple

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 46A650 versus 46B650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 46A650 versus 46B650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
46A650 versus 46B650
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 2, 2009 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: 46A650 versus 46B650

Zapple23,

One of the big features for the 6-series and up (40" and up) models is that they'll have Medi@2.0, which is an enhanced set for DLNA (streaming) capabilities. So it will have Internet@TV content, Wireless DLNA, a contnet library and a few extra features that the "A" series does not have.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

--HDTech

Collapse -
46B650 and 52A550
by Zapple23 / April 2, 2009 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: 46A650 versus 46B650

I was in the store and watching the 46a650 and 46B650 one on top of the other, displaying TV via cable. on display behind me was a 52A550 but was running a Blu-Ray disc. I wound up getting the 52. My question is did I kind get "sold" by not comparing the same broadcast or blu-ray? There will never be a time when I will have three TV's almost side by side to ever compare them again. I know it is a personal choice, but I guess what I am trying to get at is from a Spec point of view I know what the numbers say are the differences in the 46B650 and the 52A550. Am I sacrificing a lot for a larger screen and less money? My cost difference is $400. Any help is appreciated and opinions count too. I am still buying Samsung either way.

Thanks,
Zapple

Collapse -
46B650 and 52A550
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 3, 2009 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: 46B650 and 52A550

Zapple23,

I'm surprised that the store had a Blu-Ray demonstration on the 5-Series, since the 5-Series is a 60Hz television, and the 6-Series (both the A and B) are 120Hz televisions.

If you use it to play games, or fast action television shows, the 120Hz processing can really come in handy, and does provide a faster refresh.

That said, if you're satisfied with the picture and can save $400.00, then do what's best for you, and that's a great situation if it works for you. If you're waiting for your television to be delivered, you might ask to see a 5-Series on the same channel as the 6-Series to determine if there's a noticable difference for the price difference.

I'm not sure that you're sacrificing "a lot". but for motion, 120Hz isn't just a "printed spec". It's a pretty significant technology. But if it's not a difference you can see, then don't pay for it. I imagine in today's retail landscape, asking the salesperson to show you the same feed on all three televisions shouldn't be a cumbersome task, and will give you peace of mind in your purchase.

That's my thoughts, and we can discuss where you want to go from there if you'd like.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Good Advice
by Zapple23 / April 6, 2009 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: 46B650 and 52A550

There is no question the 46B does much better, at least watching NCAA action, with fast motion. Now I know why the 52 had blu-ray and not cable. I returned the 52 and will keep the 46B. I have heard different things regarding the Internet features and that they are only available through a subscription. I will do some research. Will using the 46B as a primary display for photos prove ant greater "wear" than a DVD or cable TV?
Again thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Good Advice
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 6, 2009 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Advice

Zapple23,

I don't believe that any of the widgets have a subscription charge. That could change, but as it stands, I don't believe that's the case. The only subscription you DO need is an internet subscription, and a wireless (or wired) connection.

I'm trying to catch the spirit of your second question. As far as greater "wear", do you mean will it wear out the panel?

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.