Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

46 inch series 630 hdtv

by gwingee / January 27, 2009 12:02 AM PST

can anyone tell me does this TV have the option for "variable" for audio? There is a sound bar I am going to get and there is one that has no remote that you can use IF the Tv has the variable option, otherwise there is another one for 60.00 more that comes with a remote and can be used ....I would rather save the 60 dollars if possible...I am disappointed Samsung does not offer the sound bar without the built in DVD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 46 inch series 630 hdtv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 46 inch series 630 hdtv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oh and I almost forgot
by gwingee / January 27, 2009 3:26 AM PST

I have had this tv since Sept...so only a few months...3 or 4 times now when I turn it on...the screen stays black but the audio is on. I turn off and back on and the picture comes up....do I need to worry about this?????

Collapse -
Picture
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 27, 2009 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: oh and I almost forgot

gwingee,

I would definitely be concerned. I wouldn't consider that normal operation. I've seen a few posts like that, but it seems to be a pretty common and easy fix.

I'll check on the variable audio and should have an answer soon.

--HDTech

Collapse -
what is the fix
by gwingee / January 27, 2009 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: Picture

for it?????? I did not think that it was a normal thing to happen

Collapse -
Not Normal...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2009 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: what is the fix

It's not normal, but it's not supposed to happen.

When the picture starts up with audio, is there a "Mode Not Supported" message on the screen, or is it just black?

--HDTech

Collapse -
no mode
by gwingee / January 30, 2009 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: Not Normal...

just black screen and the outer edge has a thin red or sometimes purple light

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by chuck053 / January 31, 2009 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: no mode

Every once in awhile like a couple of weeks apart or longer my 40 630 samsung does the same thing. Now that I noticed this problem I'm finding out I'm not the only one...could it be the cable box has an output problem at times like something not booting up correctly? I have Comcast HD box.

Collapse -
Hi Chuck
by gwingee / January 31, 2009 6:05 AM PST

I have Comcast HD box too...I hope that is all it is....but for what I paid for this TV and it only being a few months old, I hope it is nothing else...still waiting for the reply from the Samsung rep on this forum...

Collapse -
I wait to see
by chuck053 / February 1, 2009 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Chuck

I'll wait also and check back to see how they answeredyour question

Collapse -
How I answer..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2009 1:48 PM PST
In reply to: I wait to see

Guys,

What's happening here is a limitation of HDCP handshakes - which is High Definition Content Protection, and the connection that must trasmit a signal that verifies that the signal is being sent to a screen rather than an unauthorized peripheral.

When the two units connect, a signal is already sent and a handshake occurs, the box recognizes the transmission as verified and sends the picture. When the box doesn't receive this verification - which could be a number of reasons - the signal is still there, connected and sending, but the picture doesn't get sent until the cable box can verify HDCP.

In most cases, if you turn off your cable box and turn it back on, it will attempt another handshake and then transmit the picture.

The reason I think it's the box(es, in this case) is because there is an audio signal present, but not picture signal. The audio is passed, and no "Not Supported Mode" display. This means that the box is transmitting a signal, but not a verified signal, thus, no picture is sent.

Had you seen the Mode Not Supported or Weak or No Signal Detected icon appear, then it would indicate that the television is not receiving a signal at all. But the television is receiving a strong connected signal (by the absence of a notation). What it isn't receiving is a picture THROUGH that signal from the box - again, likely due to the lack of HDCP handshake.

My bet would be that if you turn off the cable box and restart it, the picture will appear as normal.

Let me know. I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thank you
by gwingee / February 1, 2009 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: How I answer..

next time it happens, I will do that and let you know..but I really hope it does NOT happen again...thanks again..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!