Samsung forum

General discussion

46" 8500 led tv, ht bd8200 Sound bar, Wireless adapter

by Hersh6148 / November 22, 2009 10:57 AM PST

I love my 46" 8500, which is hanging on the wall with the blu-ray soundbar nicely centered underneath. I have them working in tendem with my logitech 900 Harmony remote.

Today I got adventurous and decided to take the next step and access the the internet features. I bought two 2009 Wireless LAN Adapters (WIS09ABGN) from Best Buy. I asked the salesperson why there were two USB devices in the package. He said he didn't know and when I find out he hopes I go back to tell him. LOL. So, I bought two. I think I only needed one package though because the smaller one seems to imply that it is for the soundbar/blu-ray? (Question 1). That would be great because I would be able to return the other package and get $79 back.

I have the stick in the appropriate hd usb port on the tv and finally figured out how to get the wireless configured. I've brought up the widgets, but have a ways to go before I figure out how to use them to their fullest extent. I did get the weather to display my city's weather (I wish the icon would just show my city's weather without having to click on it.

So, question 2 is that I am stuck about the blu-ray. Most importantly, is that second usb device the correct one to use in the soundbar? Also, how do I configure the wireless on the soundbar?

Am I missing something? Have I made this too complicated, or simplistic?

Thanks. I love all of this so far and have no complaints. I've been a Samsung devotee for a long time. My best friend is going to buy the 55" once I have this figured out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 46" 8500 led tv, ht bd8200 Sound bar, Wireless adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 46" 8500 led tv, ht bd8200 Sound bar, Wireless adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
46" 8500 led tv, ht bd8200 Sound bar, Wireless adapter
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 25, 2009 8:34 AM PST

Hersh6148,

Each package - unless they're "double packs" (Which I'm not aware of their existence) contains one LinkStick, and an "elbow" extender, which is intended to hide the LinkStick when it's connected to a Blu-Ray player.

The BD-P3600/4600 come with a wireless Linkstick in the box. The BD-P1500/1590/1600 do not come with a LinkStick.

Some of our soundbars are wireless. Do you have the make and model of your soundbar?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Issue resolved
by Hersh6148 / November 25, 2009 7:36 PM PST

My installer came over the other day and cleared everything up. My soundbar, the HT-BD8200, has built-in wireless! Samsung never lets me down! Now I have built-in wireless in my led tv AND my soundbar! I hope what I can do with that capability increases as technology advances! Next I need to figure out how I can display what I am doing on my laptop, on the tv.

My next question is about the ipod docking station with the HT-BD8200. What kind of port is that on the side of the soundbar? The cord on the ipod dock is too short, so it can't go in the wall like my other components. My options appear limited because that seems to be a proprietary port that Samsung is using. Why not use usb? Then I wouldn't be limited to a Samsung dock. With all of the iPod compatible options out there, I am sure I could have found something long enough, or a wireless adapter.

Will I get another surprise and learn that what I need does indeed exist? Ignorance is bliss.

As I said, all of my components over the years have always been Samsung. I have never had a single complaint. Until now. I called your customer service about the iPod dock station and the guy was USELESS. I asked him what kind of port it was on the side of the sound bar and he said he didn't know. That is fine. But he should have escalated the call, which he had no interest in doing. If Samsung can't tell me what the port is, where else am I supposed to go? He said to bring it with me to various electronics parts places to see if the cables matched. NOT!

Collapse -
Correction, the wireless on the tv is NOT built-in
by Hersh6148 / November 25, 2009 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: Issue resolved

Sorry. The wireless for the tv uses the stick. It isn't built-in. But it is awesome anyway!

Collapse -
How did you do it?
by Song-and-Dance / November 27, 2010 10:16 AM PST

I have 55", and I can't get the USB wireless to work. I put it in the HD1 USB port, and it wouldn't recognize my wireless. I added the network, or so I thought. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Song-and-Dance

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?