Internet Service Providers forum

Question

451 Error

When I try to access a news site, I am getting a 451 error saying the content is not available. I can access this same news site from work, I am only getting this message when I'm at home.

This makes me think some setting is wrong either on my home network or my laptop - what do I check? I can access other news sites.

I am located in western NY, and the news site is in the Seattle (WA) area. All the references I found referred to the government blocking websites, but that isn't consistent with being able to reach it from one location but not another.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 451 Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 451 Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Same or different computer?

In reply to: 451 Error

It makes a difference as does one's location. Some variables are the browser (and it's setup), AV/Malware programs, Ad blockers, different ISPs and their firewalls. If there was any way to use the same PC at both sites, you'd be well on your way to finding an answer.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: 451 error

In reply to: 451 Error

- If it's available from your laptop on your work location and not at your home, it's your router or ISP.
- If it's not available from your laptop on work location, while other laptops and PC's work there, it's your laptop.

- If it's available from a device that works at work (say, phone or tablet using WiFi) and not at home it's your router or ISP.
- If such doesn't work at home either from that device, it's your laptop.

- If it works at home when you boot your laptop into a Linux disc or stick (free to make) it's Windows.

Simple experiments to know where to fix it.

Collapse -
Works on a different computer from the same location

In reply to: Re: 451 error

So - based on the responses above (thank you!) it's a browser setting? Any suggestions on where to look?

Collapse -
Not necessarily the browser alone

In reply to: Works on a different computer from the same location

You'd need to look at any security software, firewall settings, etc. You didn't mention the operating system either. If the PCs don't have the same OS, that's another variable. This becomes a process of ruling out these variables.

Collapse -
so far....

In reply to: Not necessarily the browser alone

Both computers are running Windows 10, I use Chrome on both of them. The work laptop is managed by corporate IT and that is the one that I can access the site from. I just tried using the Chrome incognito window on my personal computer and then I was able to access the site.

Collapse -
Re: incognito window

In reply to: so far....

So you found a solution. Probably using any other browser or resetting Chrome would have worked also.
Thanks for telling.

Collapse -
Re: error 451

In reply to: Works on a different computer from the same location

This is what https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes tells about error 451:

451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons (RFC 7725)
A server operator has received a legal demand to deny access to a resource or to a set of resources that includes the requested resource. The code 451 was chosen as a reference to the novel Fahrenheit 451 (see the Acknowledgements in the RFC).

Before finding a work-around better ask the webmaster or his hosting company why they did it. Your work-around might be illegal. Or their action might be a mistake.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.