Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

439MB mp3 file doesn't fit on 700MB audio cd. any secret?

by bav926 / June 29, 2008 1:26 PM PDT

My wife asked me to copy 4 audio CDs on just one CD to play it in the car for our dauthers. I copied all 4 in a folder in the hard drive as mp3s. The folder has a size of 439MB and it should fit easily on a 700MB audio CD. Still, both Real Player and WMP tell me that I need 3 CDs for all the songs in the file I created. I don't understand why such a discrepancy. Any of you guys can help me with this issue? Thanks in advance

bav926

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 439MB mp3 file doesn't fit on 700MB audio cd. any secret?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 439MB mp3 file doesn't fit on 700MB audio cd. any secret?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Audio CD vs MP3 CD...

If you choose to burn an MP3 CD you go by the file size, so the full 439MB will fit. However, many CD players can't play MP3 CDs, which are just data CDs, limiting its ability to be played back at will. On the other hand, WMP, Real Player, etc. burn Audio CDs (like those you purchased), in which case the songs are actually 'converted' to fit the Red Book specifications. This ensures playback will be successful on any CD player, but means the capacity is based on song length, which maxes out at 74 minutes regardless of file size. It's a trade-off you must make based on the device you intend to play the songs back on.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Re
by bav926 / June 30, 2008 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio CD vs MP3 CD...

John, thanks for your message. I understand I should select "make data CD" if I want to create an mp3 CD then. Is that true?
I selected "make audio CD" not knowing that the mp3 file will be converted back. The car accepts an mp3 player but I don't know if the player itself accepts an mp3 CD. This is a way to find out. If not I can play it in the living room, it won't be a waste.

bav926

Collapse -
Re(2)
by bav926 / June 30, 2008 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio CD vs MP3 CD...

Well... I found out that the car player doesn't play mp3 CDs. The manual even recommends not to use cd-r and cd-rw for overheating reasons.
The 4 original CDs have 25 songs each. The Real Player did something odd, it put disc 1 and 4 in separate folders but discs 2 and 3 in one folder. I created a new folder and I put all songs in it. The problem now is that I got 4 times track 1 to 25 in this folder. I went and changed the names such that I have now track 1 to 100. When copying the file to the disc the names get changed back and the 3 folders originally created by Real Player are back. On top of that the player will start with track 1 but jump to 11...12 and so on up to 19 then 2...21 and on not following the original sequence.
Is there any way to change the name of files and keep the changes when moving the files around and when played to keep the original sequence?
Thanks for your help
bav926

Collapse -
If just creating an MP3 CD...
by John.Wilkinson / June 30, 2008 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re(2)

I'd leave Real Player and all other media players out of the loop. I would download/install MP3Tag, then:
1.) Point it to the folder containing all of the songs and select those you wish to 'adjust.'
2.) Click the AutoNumbering Wizard button at the top. (Icon: Sheet of paper with number 1 and 2.)
3.) Check the option to include leading zeros and click OK.
4.) Go Convert->Tag-Filename, change the value to $num(%track%,3) and click OK.
5.) Save the changes and then burn the CD using your preferred burning software.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Re(3)
by bav926 / June 30, 2008 12:04 PM PDT

John, mp3Tag sounds like the tool I need. I'll get it tonight. Thanks for your help.
bav926

Collapse -
numbering
by ktreb / June 30, 2008 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Re(2)

You might want to do your numbering like this: 001, 002, 003 and so on if you're going upto 100. That way they should stay in order.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!