LG forum

Question

42UB820T: how do I fix bad quality picture from PC input?

by steveshnz / January 12, 2015 1:36 PM PST

I'm trying to use my LG 42UB820T 4k tv as a display for my pc (via HDMI), but I'm having trouble getting a good picture. I've verified that I'm getting 4:4:4 chroma using a test image, renamed the input to "PC", and turned off all the auto picture and sharpness functions, but the picture still isn't right.

It looks like the TV is applying some sort of sharpening filter to everything - the text is blocky and thick, and any images look overly sharp and almost posterized. Occasionally I've been able to make the TV jump into some other mode where the image looks great (usually by changing the input name back and forth between blu-ray and PC), but as soon as I switch the tv on and off again I'm back to the blocky text.

It's a bit hard to show in an image, but this first one is of the TV displaying a nice image:
http://postimg.org/image/dzbh2602p/

and this is the bad image I get most of the time:
http://postimg.org/image/oaqscnlmf/

Notice the www in the URL is much blockier in the second image, and the g in google inbox has been separated into two characters. I'm thinking that some sort of sharpness or dynamic contrast algorithm is at work here, playing with the antialiasing?

I'm hoping that someone on here can tell me why I can sometimes get a nice picture out of it, and hopefully help me disable LG's image processing for good.

thanks in advance!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 42UB820T: how do I fix bad quality picture from PC input?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 42UB820T: how do I fix bad quality picture from PC input?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The thing is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 2:33 PM PST
Collapse -
4k res
by steveshnz / January 12, 2015 2:39 PM PST
In reply to: The thing is

Thanks for the reply.

The windows display settings are 3840x2160, so I'm pretty sure that my pc is sending a 4k signal (windows thinks the panel's native resolution is 1080p, but it will still let me set the resolution to 4k). Having said that, I was just playing a 1080p youtube video and the titles looked to be sharper than 1080p, so perhaps the tv is still applying some sort of upscaling algorithm to the signal even though it's already 4k?

Collapse -
Safe bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 2:49 PM PST
In reply to: 4k res

Remember these are new things, new code in the TV so make the call fast before you are stuck with it.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!