Question

42" Samsung TV clicks 3 times but never turns on.

I have a 42" Samsung plasma only 6 months old. It worked fine until the night. When you try and power the tv on the red LED turns blue like its suppose to. Then you hear the relay click once, then again, then again, then the clicking stops but the tv never powers on. The blue LED stays lit blue until you power off the tv. I've pulled the back panel off and have looked at the capacitor extensively and there are no visible signs of a bad capacitor. I have some electronic experience and am trying to fix it myself. Where do I go from there?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 42" Samsung TV clicks 3 times but never turns on.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 42" Samsung TV clicks 3 times but never turns on.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Be sure to have other techs inspect those caps.

I encountered a few techs that would say "that one doesn't look too bad." Again, when it comes to Electrolytic Capacitors, only perfection passes. We have too many angles and issues to inspect for. From domed tops, blown bottoms and leakers to rusted tops we have learned to repeat those inspections and use dental mirrors and more to get in there.

This is not an user serviceable area so I made a bad assumption you are a TV repair person. Next up is the service manual and change the board it suggests next on the flow charts.
Bob

- Collapse -
I wouldn't call myself a tech yet, but going to NTI

I've had my boss i'm an apprentice for look at the board and it looks fine. He directed me to this web site because I'd like to fix it instead of him. I know this is considered help but if he were with me, he'd fix the whole thing.

- Collapse -
Keep in mind that today, you swap boards.

Cap swapping is a nice thing if it works. If not you swap boards.
Bob

- Collapse -
Failure

Most of these types of televisions have removable boards, similar to what a computer uses. The power board(module) would be what I would suspect first, given the circumstance you described. I broke my teeth in the electronics in the early days of hybrid, solid state and modular TV and sundry other devices. Likely a failed component on the power module, which to repair would/will require troubleshooting whether the board(s) appear to be Ok or not.

CNET Forums