Speakeasy forum

General discussion

41 year old US olympic swimmer - too good to be true ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 41 year old US olympic swimmer - too good to be true ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 41 year old US olympic swimmer - too good to be true ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm skeptical ...

In reply to: 41 year old US olympic swimmer - too good to be true ?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
The competition at that level is extremely intense and the physical toll from age, arthritis and pregnancy should not be minimized. There are a lot of reasons most athletes in aerobically demanding sports do not participate at the Olympic level in their 40s. A quick search showed that for the Sydney games most of the female swimmers for the US team were in their teens or early twenties. I think two were in their 30s. That was the first year that came up in my search, I don't know about other years.
My guess is that a 40 something woman might be as strong as a 20 something woman, but maximal heart rate and aerobic capacity of adults generally tend to drop with age even in well trained athletes. So, unless this 40 y/o was a real phenomenon it seems hard to believe she could beat skilled competitors half her age unless she has some advantage they don't have. That advantage might not be from drugs. It could be a technical advantage in her suit or whatever else but I would presume that all the swimmers have access to the same swimming techniques, swimsuits, ... so it is hard to imagine what legitimate advantage she could come up with.

Collapse -
a race between her

Collapse -
(NT) Is that the jump link you meant to post ?

In reply to: a race between her

Collapse -
(NT) 'tis, 'twas ;-)

In reply to: Is that the jump link you meant to post ?

Collapse -
LOL... isn't it obvious ?

In reply to: 'tis, 'twas ;-)

All I saw was the quote, not the different tag line. I thought you had linked back to my original post.

I would say great minds think alike... but considering my often pointed out comprehension deficiencies, my comparison could be considered an insult.

Grin

Collapse -
great minds think alike...

In reply to: LOL... isn't it obvious ?

you could say that Happy

Collapse -
She has already requested testing

for drug use by the Olympic committee to put end to those rumors, which have already started.

Don't know how the heck she is doing it, but apparently she is.

Roger

Collapse -
41 year old US olympic swimmer - too good to be true ?

Grim, it is Nabisco Breakfast Cereal, not doping. She will be on the cover of that cereal box.
Sing along with this with a Indian tom-tom beat?
N-A-B-I-S-C-O, Nabisco is the name to know, for a breakfast you can't beat, try Nabisco Shredded Wheat!
Well, that was wonderful, Grim. You passed on the singing.

Early childhood memories for me. I do like Shredded Wheat.
Will have to buy some this Monday.
No dope, just Nabisco Shredded Wheat Cereal.

Makes you strong. Like bull! :

Collapse -
I like shredded wheat in the microwave.

It is a nice change of pace on a chilly morning.

I tried singing along with you Kevin, but the dogs thought I was in pain and started howling with me.

Wink

Collapse -
I like shredded wheat in the microwave.

In reply to: I like shredded wheat in the microwave.

Grim, stop standing on your dog's nuts. You would be howling too!
OUCH!!! :

Collapse -
Re: Makes you strong. Like bull! :

Strong like fox
Smart like bull

Wink

Collapse -
shredded wheat

In reply to: Re: Makes you strong. Like bull! :

not distilled wheat.

Collapse -
There are some who consider being 40..

....... as "over the hill". Happy

There is no way of knowing how some of her competitors would have done in "her day" with the slower pools, slower suits, and slower kicks. Those elements are all faster now, and no doubt she has taken advantage of them all.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
There are some who consider being 40..

In reply to: There are some who consider being 40..

Angeline, check out this. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/05/MNIO11K9OO.DTL

I think the woman is fantastic and had already won medals for the U.S.A. in the Olympics before. After all her grueling training lately, she still has time for her family and children.
I plan on following her quest for a Gold Medal!
I wish her all the best.

"She does things that border on Cirque du Soleil." (from the article)

-Kevin

Collapse -
Can't wait...

Can't wait for the Olympics. This should be very interesting. Happy Thanks for info.

Collapse -
Can't wait...

In reply to: Can't wait...

dinobut, me too!
Summer Olympics should be good to view for several weeks.
I enjoy track and field, swimming, diving and everything else that is presented to us fans.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/
http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/beijing/index_uk.asp
http://www.nbcolympics.com/
http://www.olympic.org/uk/index_uk.asp
http://www.reuters.com/news/sports/2008olympics
http://www.iaaf.org/oly08/index.html

Plenty of other sites also available on the internet.

I pray there is no violence from any terrorist organizations to mar this wonderful event for the world to view their athletes.

kevin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.