HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

41.exe Dapso.Dialer

by askita / June 22, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

I have an application in my

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

It is called 41.exe When I run my Norton Scan, it doesn't pick it up anymore, but the first time it did, it called it a Dapsol.Dialer And it hasn't been run, because my firewall stops it from running, but I can't delete it from my computer, because it says that it is being used by another program.

I am running on Windows XP.

Does anone know what process is running this so that I can stop that process and delete it, and what can be done or changed in my regisrty to stop it from re-installing itself onto the computer?

I did have the Dialer on my computer, and managed to delete it from my computer and stop it from being reinstalled, by emptying a certian folder on my registry. I cannot remember the name of it now.

Any one who can help me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks bunches and bunches!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 41.exe Dapso.Dialer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 41.exe Dapso.Dialer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try to..
by Donna Buenaventura / June 22, 2005 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: 41.exe Dapso.Dialer

follow the removal method by Symantec http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/dialer.dapsol.html

Click Start > Run.
Type regedit
Then click OK.
Navigate to and delete the value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\conc

Exit the Registry Editor.

IMPORTANT: Before you will modify the registry, make a backyp - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/199762382617?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

You should also delete temporary internet files
Start>Run then type %temp%
Hit OK
Delete all items in that folder.

If you can't delete the offending file, boot to safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml then empty temporary files in safe mode.

Collapse -
Good advice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Try to..

but I wonder if, when Norton's picked it up the first time, did it place the dialer in Quarantine?

If so, that may be why you cannot delete it manually, but you could delete it by opening Norton, go to it's quarantine section, and deleting it from there.

But I may be wrong. By placing a suspect file in quarantine I suppose Norton would actually remove the dialer and place it somewhere safe.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Donna, Mark
by askita / June 22, 2005 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Try to..

WellDonna, there is no

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\conc

Lord knows I've looked for it numerous times. I wasn't able to delete it even in Safe Mode... It said it was in use by another program. Except this time I wrote down the processes that were running ad they are as follows:

taskmgr.exe
explorer.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe (yes, there are three of them, all different sizes...)
lsass.exe
smss.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe

And Mark, It isn't in the Norton quarenteened files.

I'm really stumpted on what to do. Is there anything else that you need to know to make it a bit easier to help me?

Thanks, askita

Collapse -
Try this utility
by Donna Buenaventura / June 22, 2005 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Donna, Mark
Collapse -
To use Power Killbox
by Donna Buenaventura / June 22, 2005 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Donna, Mark

Unzip and start the application
In the "Full Path of File to Delete" box, locate the file.
Click "Delete on Reboot"
Click the red button with X
Click Yes.
Reboot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.