HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

$400 max for handheld, which one?

by EnciscoJuarbez / September 23, 2007 10:52 PM PDT

I've done everything to look for a decent camcorders except post on the forums and ask users which they would prefer. I'm looking for a camcorder that is no more than 400$. If I could get some suggestions I'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: $400 max for handheld, which one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: $400 max for handheld, which one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Share with us what
by boya84 / September 23, 2007 11:10 PM PDT

models made your short list...

Collapse -
Sorry
by EnciscoJuarbez / September 23, 2007 11:23 PM PDT

Sorry, I didn't realize that I didn't list anything.

Sony DCR-DVD203
Panasonic PV GS85
Canon DC220
Hitachi DZ-GX3100A

If there are some better than those for the price I'd like to know which. Thanks Happy

Collapse -
Personally, I recommend staying away from
by boya84 / September 24, 2007 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

DVD based camcorders - there have been too many posts on these boards about folks having issues with which disc (-R or RW or ?) to use, finalizing the discs, playing those discs back in various DVD players... and difficulty with transferring or editing the captured video on a computer.

I think that leave the Panasonic on your list.

Collapse -
JVC
by EnciscoJuarbez / September 24, 2007 5:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) I'm not a JVC fan.
by boya84 / September 24, 2007 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: JVC
Collapse -
What would you recommend
by EnciscoJuarbez / September 24, 2007 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not a JVC fan.

So what would you recommend then? Is getting a mini disc recorder a bad thing? I'm not up on the camcorder world so I'm not sure as to what's the current gen thing people are using.

DvD vs Mini casette?

Collapse -
No... do not do DVD based camcorders
by boya84 / September 24, 2007 5:38 AM PDT

especially if you are expecting to do any editing.

Like I said, on the short list you provided, the Panasonic PV-GS85 gets my vote.

Personally, I would spend more money and get something with a mic-in jack and manual audio controls, but I did not want to go outside the budget you set or the short list you provided.

Collapse -
Hmm
by EnciscoJuarbez / September 24, 2007 5:44 AM PDT

So is there a big quality difference in using DVD or Mini DV? Is there any other glaring difference besides editing. How would I convert my Mini DV onto a DVD for playback?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Tools I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

I use WINDV to do the capture step. Then I can use my choice of video editor (I don't use Movie Maker.)

To make a DVD is in most packages. If not try http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

Bob

Collapse -
Sounds easy
by EnciscoJuarbez / September 24, 2007 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Tools I use.

I was just concerned that if I got Mini DV it would somehow be outdated in a year or 2 and didn't want to have to upgrade again. So you would recommend Mini DV over Mini DVD?

Thanks agian!

Collapse -
So Basically.
by EnciscoJuarbez / September 24, 2007 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds easy

You just plug in your camcorder using usb or firewire to your pc then transfer the video onto your computers hard drive? Then from there you would put it on dvd?

Collapse -
Sorry. Always firewire. (always)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: So Basically.

Many discover USB to not transfer a good looking video. This is covered in our forum sticky.

Bob

Collapse -
three different storage media,
by boya84 / September 24, 2007 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: So Basically.

three different methods:

1) MiniDV tape: Use FireWire.
2) Hard drive based (typically) use USB.
3) DVD based typically, put the optical disc in the computer's optical drive tray and hope you can rip the DVD.

Bob's right - read the forum sticky. Lots of useful information there.

Collapse -
Why would you have to upgrade in a year or
by boya84 / September 24, 2007 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds easy

two because of MiniDV? Digital tape (please do not confuse it with analog tape) continues to provide the best video quality available.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.