Now, Sony is saying that it plans to allocate 80 percent of its US retail PS3s for the $599 "premium" sku, with the remaining 20 percent left for the $499 "core" model. The premium PlayStation 3 comes with a 60 GB hard drive, built-in Bluetooth and 802.11g wireless, and one HDMI output. The core model drops the hard drive capacity to 20 GB, has no HDMI output, and no built-in WiFi.
A thought just occurred to me. When Sony says they are shipping 400,000 PS3s to the US for this holiday season, what's the split between the $500 and $600 units? That's the problem with these tiered pricing, Sony is screwing themselves double because how can they know what the demand is going to be for the two different units.
Again, another win for the Wii. I think the hardest decision we'll have on Wii launch day is what color we want. This is, of course, assuming the Wii is shipped at a lower cost like expected.