TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

40" SONY CRT VS PLASMA

by MR ALTIMA / November 15, 2008 11:28 PM PST

I CURRENTLY HAVE A SONY 40"XBR CRT THIS THING IS HUGE AND HEAVY AND LOOKS LIKE IT DOESN'T BELONG.I PAID OVER $4000 DOLLERS FOR THIS THIMG 5 YEARS AGO.THE PICTURE QUALITY IS AMAZING WITH DIGITAL OR EVEN WHEN I HAD ANALOG,I AM SCARED OF LOSING PICTURE QUALITY IF I GO TO A 50" PLASMA, BUT ON THE OTHER HAND A NEW FLAT PANEL WOULD BE GREAT.
ANYONE OUT THERE WHO'S HAD THIS PROBLEM OR HAS AN OPINION ON THIS IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

WHAT TO DO.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 40" SONY CRT VS PLASMA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 40" SONY CRT VS PLASMA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yeah...I ove my crt!
by ahtoi / November 16, 2008 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: 40" SONY CRT VS PLASMA

But as you've pointed out, the thing is HUGE. Should you go for a plasma? I can tell you there are lots of plasma lover here also. It's your choice, hehe.

Collapse -
I face the same problem too
by Dan Filice / November 16, 2008 6:17 AM PST

We owned a 50" Toshiba CRT HDTV, and it looked amazing. From personal experience I can say that the Toshiba was even better than the Sony CRT (my sister-in-law has the Sony CRT, so I could compare images to my Toshiba). Anyways, I bit the bullet and last January bought a new Sony SXRD flat-panel. I was hesitant! Would the new TV be a let-down? Sheesh! The new TV blew the old CRT away in every comparison! If you get a new Plasma do yourself a favor and buy a Panasonic or Pioneer 1080p Plasma. You will be amazed at the difference. Then take it one better. Buy a Bluray player. Costco has the Sony for $229. Then plop in a new BR disc and be ready to be blown away!!! You will roll your old crummy CRT into the street with a sign on it that says "FREE". Buy a BR disc that has the THX symbol on it. It will have a THX setup option that will help you setup your new TV to a pretty good level, especially if you have a piece of blue gel. (Don't ask why blue gel. Just follow the instructions.) This will help you get a great setup on color, contrast and brightness. Then if you feel like doing an even better setup, buy a specific setup disc.

Collapse -
3 years ago I bought 2 CRT HDTVs
by jcrobso / November 16, 2008 9:11 PM PST

At the time they were the best picture for the lowest price.
I still have them, I don't spend a lot of time looking at the new HDTVs.

But with the price drops over the last 3 years if you want to regain some floor space getting a flat panel(LCD or Plasma) may be for you. John

Collapse -
CRT'S ARE THE BEST TV EVER MADE, PLASMA SUCKS
by tony565565 / November 20, 2008 10:55 AM PST

THE STANDARD CRT TELEVISION IS THE BEST TELEVISION EVER MADE. I OWN A MITSUBISHI 40 INCH TUBE MADE IN 1996, IT WEIGHS 375LBS. IT HAS NEVER BEEN WORKED ON OR HAD A MAJOR REPAIR. NO PLASMA OR LCD MADE IN 1996 STILL PLAYS GOOD OR STILL HERE, PLASMAS/LCDS ARE MADE TO LAST 5 YEARS OR LESS WELL AS THE SONY 40 INCH TUBE OR MITSUBISHI 40 INCH WAS BUILT TO LAST 20 YEARS OR BETTER. HELL, I EVEN THROW THE REMOTE CONTROL AT MY SCREEN ALL THE TIME WHEN IM WATCHING FOOTBALL AND I HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM, TRY THAT WITH A PLASMA/LCD. PLASMAS ARE A 100% SCAM, ITS JUST A GIANT CALCULATOR SCREEN WITH A BRIGHT LIGHT BEHIND IT(400 WATT LAMP) AND A WINDOW TINT SCREEN IN FRONT.FACT, IT TOOK 10 TIMES MORE WORK TO BUILD A SONY TUBE TV THEN A PLASMA. MITSUBISHI STOP MAKING THERE 40 INCH TUBE IN 1997 AND SONY STOP THERE 40 INCH IN 2003. BESTBUY, SEARS, CIRCUIT CITY, DEMANDED THAT THESE TVS STOP BEING MADE BECAUSE THEY NEVER BREAK AND WILL HURT SALES FOR NEW PLASMAS. NEVER BUY A FAKE BULLCRAP DEFINITION PLASMA.

Collapse -
Is that your
by masonaries / November 21, 2008 10:07 AM PST

Professional opition? LMAO

Collapse -
its a pure fact
by tony565565 / November 21, 2008 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: Is that your

im not a proffesional dude and i really dont need to be, i have a 40" mitsubishi tube thats never been taken apart period and i punch and throw remotes at the screen every sunday watching football and i have never had a problem, do that to a plasma/lcd and see what happens. plasmas were designed as disposible throwaway television. hell i droped a 34" sony crt on the concrete while moving and it scratched the screen and still played fine in 2006. and yes best buy did ban the sale of these big crt tvs after 1999. mitsibishi kiss there rear end stopped there 40" in 1997 sony stoped in 2003. now all you can buy is lcd/plasma and there has never been a plasma/lcd last more than 6 years without needing major work. the giant crt kills the plamas. the sony 40" wega trinitron flat screen is the best tv of alltime built to last 35 years problem free, it weighs 400lbs though. if bestbuy only sold these they would be out of business right now. hd projection, hd crt projection, hd plamas/lcd, is all HYPE.they will be in landfills in 10 years or less guaranteed. i shop at the good will in arizona and every other projection tv for sell is a newer silver one made after 2003. it usually needs work and sells for $299 or less. plasma is the new platinum spark plug hype of the millenium, in the 90s platinum spark plugs started selling like crazy, just to steal your money if you be a fool and buy them, copper is a way better conductor of electricity, the old muscle cars used only copper and were super fast, the steel frames just made it look like they were slow, if put platinum/irdium in a old nova it wont even move, it needs copper plugs thats why. now put copper plugs in a small light weight subaru wrx turbo and that car is a rocket. i use copper plugs in my little chevy aveo and gets better gas mileage then with bullcrap hyped up platinum. botton line is dont buy hype products force them out of business, plasmas are all hype and cause you more money and problems, stick with crt tvs (cathode ray tube) a hard glass crystal ball tv.

Collapse -
Tube TVs can't accept 1080p/24 BluRay
by Dan Filice / November 21, 2008 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: its a pure fact

I have a Sony Trinitron XBR tube tv in a guest bedroom, and it's a great TV (not a 40" though), but my family room, which is the main TV room, is quite large, and a 40" TV looks like a postage stamp from where the seating is located. So the trade-off is a properly sized TV vs some possible image issues. The problem to with that logic is that my Sony flat-screen, which is the SXRD model, just looks so great and I personally like it better than the old tube Sony. No lag, no blur, no pixel rebuilding, great colors and blacks. Yes, a 2.4ms pixel refresh may not be as fast as a tube TV, but it's fast enough to not see any picture or image artifacts. In addtion the SXRD is all setup to accept 1080p BluRay. The old tube TVs can't, won't and can never accept full 1080p resolution, so for me, there is a reverse argument to your logic. Full 1080p/24p movies just blow the old tube TVs away. Sorry.

Collapse -
plasma have some advantages
by tony565565 / November 22, 2008 1:32 AM PST

true they have a better picture qaulity, remember i never said the old tube was high def, its just built to last 20-30 years where as a plasma cant even go 6 years problem free, and they burn 2 times more power than the average 30" tube tv set. sure you will love the close up picture, but what good is it if you get mad a throw the remote at the screen or you get in a argument with your wife and smack the screen, its done. there are alot if plasmas in landfills and counting, they will one day out number the tubes thrown away. if i see a 1997 42" NEC plasma tv($25,000 when new) anywhere on this earth that still runs and plays perfect, i will give the owner my entire bank account thats how confident i am plasmas/lcds dont last, they just lowered the price because of supply and demand. it only cost $125 to build the average 42" plasma. when tubes were made, it was very hard because of the reinforced glass. but yeah plasma play better they just wont last and will destroy the planet worst when thrown away then a lead filled glass tube.

Collapse -
Picture Quality
by masonaries / November 21, 2008 11:22 PM PST

I has a Sony 32" tinitron for 25 years. Then I purchased a 46" LCD Samsung. The Sony was great but the Samsung's picture quality is much better than the Sony on HDTV. And the experience of a 16:9 ration can not be beat. Buying a good 50" or even 60" Plasma will blow you away.

Collapse -
(NT) to late to matter
by hapiklam / January 12, 2011 6:38 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?