Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

40 days to Antivirus expire

Ok, my Norton Antivirus '06 is expiring very soon. I've decided to try something else after using NAV 04, 05 and 06, but which one is effective and reliable? Norton is heavyweight, I must admit, very evidently from Task Manager>Applications, Administrative Tools>Services and very detailed from this software called File Research Center. But NAV '06 didn't slow down my system, main reason is I've got 760MB RAM, also not so many softwares installed. I know without Norton, my system will speed up, available RAM will increase. Any good recommendations for a light weight, user friendly interface and reliable AV? Thing is, with Norton all the while, I felt confident and assured and it has caught and dealt with every intrusion that came, and updates were something like 99% on a daily basis. Recommendations, people. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 40 days to Antivirus expire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 40 days to Antivirus expire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mine had expired a month ago, Used AVG Free AV for 2 mos.

In reply to: 40 days to Antivirus expire

for AVG Free Antivirus: http://free.grisoft.com
Googled the one I used to have and it is a free year for Microsoft Users. Look for Computer Associates. I have it in now. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Free vs Paid Antivirus

In reply to: Mine had expired a month ago, Used AVG Free AV for 2 mos.

I understand AVG has been upgraded recently and many swear by it. Tried it long ago but only for a while. So can't evaluate. Is it just as good as boxed ones, if so I'll not think twice to use it. Some opinions are that free AVs like AVG or Avast is liken to "a house built on wood", so to speak, that is when under real attack, it will not hold. How is AVG for you so far? Long term users of AVG, Avast and other apps, appreciate feedbacks. Thanks.

Collapse -
Risks changed

In reply to: Free vs Paid Antivirus

Every security vendors need to upgrade their engine/scanner to cope up with the newer risks that old engine/scanner can't attend anymore.

Paid vs Free should not, anymore, the question but whether the antivirus has been upgraded to try to protect users from new risks.

What a security vendor has said:
"The fact remains that traditional engines are insufficient against new malware. It's apparent that if you want protection nowadays you cannot rely on signatures and heuristics alone, regardless of how "leading edge" you're told it is. Use of behavioural analysis and other proactive techniques is an absolute must. Many leading solutions are finally starting to implement behavioural technologies in their solutions and that is A-Good-Thing."
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=228794&messageID=2377098#2377098

Symantec to launch behaviour-based tool
The Symantec Online Network for Advanced Response (SONAR), will look at the behaviour of programs running on the computer in order to decide whether they are malicious. This is a departure from Symantec's traditional signature-based anti-virus protection techniques, which compare the program's code to a database of known malware.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=228960&messageID=2377802#2377802

Collapse -
AV Performance Tests

In reply to: 40 days to Antivirus expire

Collapse -
(NT)

In reply to: AV Performance Tests

Hi Donna & Marianna,

Your posts have been great and informative. Think I'm going to check out trial for the free apps, see how they fare, also find out more on purchased ones. I'd be looking at those with lean system requirements. Thank you ladies.

Collapse -
(NT) den65 - You Are Very Welcome :)

In reply to: (NT)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.