Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

4 site WAN issues?

by BSharpe37 / April 26, 2010 4:22 AM PDT

OK, well I have 4 different locations that I want to WAN into one network. I have at the central location 2 Servers one is W2003SP2SMB the other is W2008R2 Enterprise. Both are setup to accept RAS connections. I have user accounts shared via Active directory. Now all users at the central location Have not issues accessing their shares or new users being able to log into any computer. ( we have roaming profiles) BUT at the other locations unless I create an account by having the user login or using soem select run commands logged in under me, the remote users can't login and they get "The domain X is not available. please see you system administrator" Ofcourse I renamed my domain in the error message, its not actually called X but go with me on it here.

So I got to thinking, It must be a WAN issue. When I setup a manual VPN connection to either server users can operate fine, but its the whole login issue I'm having. I want my users to be able to access their Outlook and be able to login without me first having to create an account. I want them to be able to roam from PC to PC no matter the location their at.

What I've setup is a Netgear Prosafe VPN firewall FV318. This then goes to a 24 port network switch at each location. Each location does not have their own evers but have a static IP with a ADSL connection. The modem is routed into the network switch, that then all the LAN connections from each location is connected.

Ideas why my WAN doesn't Detect the domain or Whats wrong with the WAN?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 4 site WAN issues?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 4 site WAN issues?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Share a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2010 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: 4 site WAN issues?

What books and training in IT have you taken on this sort of work? Sometimes I find fledgling IT staffers without the training and they get really upset over this. That is, they think the answer fits in one paragraph.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:Training...
by BSharpe37 / April 27, 2010 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Share a little more.

As far as training goes I worked for NMCI as a T4. I did the server and user stuff. I have read the Microsoft Windows Server books and other computer books but I'm not going to list them off here for anyones pleasure, I have read a lot of books, I have a degree in software engineering, but I have not done much setup of the WAN's before...as you can imagin, 4 years in college provides me with a lot of books.

Intresting point is that a netmeeting connection works to the machines once the users can login. This netmeeting connects using the 192.x.x.x addresses.

I probably have something setup wrong, considering I didn't setup the network origanally but I just don't see whats wrong. (The previous IT set it up and got fired for not doing his job - I've created a work around but would like to not have to use it)

Collapse -
Thanks for the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2010 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: 4 site WAN issues?
Collapse -
I'll try it out, thank you!
by BSharpe37 / April 27, 2010 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the answer.

I will try this out, thank you. I will let you know how it goes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.