Cameras forum

General discussion

4 similar cameras to choose from! Which is best???

by twitch / January 5, 2005 1:09 PM PST

Hi, I recently decided to upgrade my Canon PowerShot A300 to a newer model. I never liked my Canon, as it took way too many "less-than-perfect" pictures (I couldn't even take good pictures after 5pm-they would turn out too dark, no matter how hard I tried).

Anyways, my question is this: out of these 4 cameras, which would be the best choice, and why?

Sony CyberShot DSC-W1
Sony CyberShot DSC-P93
Canon PowerShot A95
Nikon CoolPix 5200 or 4100

I already looked at the specs for all of these, and they seem to be pretty consistent on each.

I know that is a lot, but after reading countless numbers of reviews and summaries alike, I still cannot decide. They each have their pros and cons. I have heard however, from both the Nikon and DSC-W1, that pictures tend to come out blurry.

I need a camera for taking pictures around the house (of pets and family, and not always in direct light) and also for travelling(a black and white option would be superb). I would love to have a camera that would take sharp images that can be blown up without getting blurry. My camera now does not take sharp images whatsoever, so this would be a great improvement. Also, I like to have manual and automatic settings so I can get the pictures I want.

One last thing, I like having the scene modes (fireworks, portrait, twilight, etc.) but do these really work?

My budget is anywhere from 250-400, so all of these cameras fall right into that column.

I'm sorry for the overload of information, but I am in desperate need of a new camera and I cannot seem to make a decision on my own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 4 similar cameras to choose from! Which is best???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 4 similar cameras to choose from! Which is best???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Choose 1 of 4
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 6, 2005 12:33 AM PST

The Canon A300 is an entry level camera with few manual controls. So any of the cameras you list would be a big improvement.

Of the 4 cameras, the Canon A95 offers the best in manual controls.

The Sony W1 has lots of scene modes and does have a manual setting. It does not have aperture priority or shutter priority.

The other cameras you list are point-n-shoot cameras with a few manual controls and a number of scene modes.

Scene modes are a quick and easy way to control specific situations. It is sort of like using manual controls without having to know why you are using them.

Since you are looking for something that can be used in low light situations, I think your choice is really down to the Canon A95, Sony P93 or Nikon 5200.

Of those three the Sony P93 will have the least shutter lag which is helpful with taking pictures of active kids.

If you want to be able to have total control of the camera and you have an interest in the mechanics of photography you should go for the Canon A95.

Otherwise, narrow your choice down to the Sony P93 and the Nikon 5200.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by twitch / January 6, 2005 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: Choose 1 of 4

Thanks so much for the info. I think I will go with the Canon A95. It will save me a ton seeing as how I already have a memory card that will fit (512mb) and it takes rechargeable AA batteries, which I also already own. If I got the Sony, I would have to buy a specific battery which I believe run around $80, and a memory card, which I'm sure aren't very cheap.

One other question, does the Canon A95 have a good amount of scene modes? I think I read somewhere that it does, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again for your timely and helpful advice!

Collapse -
Scene Modes
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 6, 2005 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
Canon A95
by amhallphoto / January 7, 2005 1:12 PM PST

Of the four cameras listed,I would highly recommend the Canon A95. See especially Dave's picks at "imaging-resource.com".

Collapse -
Good.
by twitch / January 8, 2005 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Canon A95

I went ahead and bought the A95. I hope I got a good deal. It was $315 at best buy. I really didn't want to buy off-line, so I figured bestbuy was a good choice, since it is right down the road. Thanks for all the info! You helped me make an informed decision. My camera is coming Wednesday(they didn't have any in stock) so I will let you know how much I love it when it gets here! Thanks again!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!