Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

4 Folders on my comp i dont know about

by Hp-P00nst3r / September 26, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

As i was searching through my comp yesterday to delete some unneeded programs, i came accross four folders that i don't recognize
Jaime
Koime
Tcime
Scime

Can anyone tell me what they are and if they're bad?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 4 Folders on my comp i dont know about
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 4 Folders on my comp i dont know about
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you use Kazaa?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 6:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Do you use Kazaa?
by Hp-P00nst3r / September 27, 2004 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you use Kazaa?

ya, and i use Adaware, and NOrton Systemworks, and Zone Alarm Pro

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Then you've found it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2004 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Do you use Kazaa?
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Then you've found it.
by Hp-P00nst3r / September 27, 2004 2:10 PM PDT

are they bad or nething?
what do they do?

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Then you've found it.
by CharleyO / September 27, 2004 2:18 PM PDT

You said you use Kazaa, right? (That was a hint from Bob)

Collapse -
You have been duped by VERY EVIL PEOPLE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2004 9:33 PM PDT

How more blunt can I be?

Before you think I'm being mean, read http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html and consider that some VERY EVIL PEOPLE have duped you into installing this software.

What's worse is that today's PARASITES (aka SPYWARE) is now bilking people of their money. You installed a known destroyer of systems and may read this and either response with:

1. They're nuts (people here).
2. OMG! And begin curing the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: You have been duped by VERY EVIL PEOPLE.
by Hp-P00nst3r / September 30, 2004 9:54 AM PDT

i read the first bit (the second paragraph)

It says:
The company plans to wake up the millions of computers that have installed its software in as soon as four weeks. It plans to use the machines--with their owners' permission--to host and distribute other companies' content, such as advertising or music. Alternatively, it might borrow people's unused processing power to help with other companies' complicated computing tasks.

One part says "The company plans to wake up the millions of computers that have installed its software in as soon as four weeks", the date of the article is April 2002.

Another part says: "It plans to use the machines--with their owners' permission--to host and distribute other companies' content", note as it says WITH THEIR OWNERS PERMISSION.

Collapse -
Re: You have been duped by VERY EVIL PEOPLE.
by CharleyO / September 30, 2004 6:39 PM PDT

By allowing the downloading of these files onto your computer, you have essentually given that permission.

Kazaa and other P2P programs are the biggest scam pulled on those who do not realize what they are doing. This was the plan all along. Wise up!

Collapse -
Just a general note and vent
by billzhills / October 1, 2004 8:17 AM PDT

2/3s' of the systems I repair involve spy-ware. People are prey to themself, answering the call for something free, newer, better, faster. Those in the know get a little touchy when people fall into the traps set by these individuals offering free, newer, better, faster.

Touchy because the forums are full of people attempting regain controll of their computers. Over and over again the cries for help echo .... but no one listens or learns. I know... had my backside chewed out a few times from removing ad supported applications that could not be lived with-out or a system returned re-infected. Hard not to get touchy ......

Looked at a free codec for DVD viewing -> EULA ->
one paragraph for the application, two pages for the spy-ware
(My Web Search)(catch this one and good luck)
Always, ALWAYS read the EULA you might just be suprised what you find.

Well thats my vent

Thanks for listening

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.