The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

4/05/05 If you've never tried eBay, why not?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 5, 2005 4:21 AM PDT

If you've never tried eBay, why not?

I like to touch and see objects before a purchase
It's too complicated
I use other online resources
I don't trust anything online
Never will, I've heard too many eBay nightmares (tell us what you heard)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 4/05/05 If you've never tried eBay, why not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 4/05/05 If you've never tried eBay, why not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No e bay for me!
by e224 / April 5, 2005 6:09 AM PDT

Community weekly poll forum

Back to Main Forums page | Back to Community weekly poll Forum

You are posting a Reply to:

4/05/05 If you've never tried eBay, why not?

If you've never tried eBay, why not?

I like to touch and see objects before a purchase
It's too complicated
I use other online resources
I don't trust anything online
Never will, I've heard too many eBay nightmares (tell us what you heard)

Posted by: Lee Koo (ADMIN) Posted on: 04/05/2005 11:21 AM

IT is way too complicated and the horror stories abound. I also hear there is software to handle ones bidding so that a person without that software could never win , unless it was something no one wanted in the first place. Nope, that is not the place for me!

K. Daniels

Collapse -
re: no e bay for me!
by jujuraf / April 5, 2005 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: No e bay for me!

I'm amused by your reluctance to try something based on some unknown user(s) without any effort on your part to discover the facts. Do you act this way with everything in your life? As with any situation, there are always people who have bad experiences. I've bought/sold probably 120 items and never had any problem. It's all common sense (which isn't too common it seems). You're wrong about some mystery software that bids for you, never heard of such a thing. Just like any auction you'd visit in person or a garage sale, it's buyer beware and no returns (or at least rarely). There are unscrupulous people everywhere, not just online so if common sense doesn't work for you, then give away your computer and go back to the "good old days." If the ads that scare you off are like Microsoft Office 2004 for $20 then hell yes, it's a scam and don't bid. But you get those types of scams in your mail box everyday, and solicitors on the phone.

Collapse -
Be amused when it happens to you.
by YL Ferver / April 9, 2005 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: re: no e bay for me!

I had been doing ebay for a number of years with a bank account and a credit card. No probs until paypal double-charged me for an item; one charge from my bank acct, one from the credit card. I contacted paypal and they sent a form letter that was not relavent to the problem. I contacted the seller and he was slightly pi_sed but sent me a check MINUS the paypal charge for the double billing. OK, not a big deal, huh? Thankfully, I cancelled paypal and my bank acct.

It gets better. A few months later, I ordered a computer from half.com. I tracked the computer from the seller daily until the computer arrived. It gets unfunny at this point. The UPS brought one package to the porch, sat it down, and went back to his truck and brought another box the same size. You guessed it, you rascal! Upon opening the box, I realized that ebay/half.com had sent me two computers.

I'll condense the rest of the story. It took my credit card company three months to determine that half.com/ebay had committed FRAUD. Remember that word, it could happen to you.

Collapse -
You know that old saying,
by Patroski / April 5, 2005 8:50 AM PDT

I am over 55 yrs and all computer training is "self taught". I started on ebay maybe 8 years ago and I have purchased a few things, not hard, "if I can do it, anyone can"! I got burnt once because it "looked too good to be true", and it was! I have finally taught myself how to put an ad on with pictures. Sold my first item last week! Hopefully, I will be able to clear out a lot of my "stuff I can't get rid of". Best of luck.

Collapse -
let the wounds heal first
by paguda / June 28, 2005 10:04 AM PDT

my son bought a car stereo, and it was saying that the location was australia, the bank details of the vendor is in australia, but then we found out that the item is coming from malaysia.....item was delivered after payment, installed the unit,,,after 2 days no sound coming out, have it checked by a qualified technician, and verdict is faulty.....contacted vendor, sent it dec 2004, confirmed received...but wont be check by their technician because its christmas holiday, have to wait 2 weeks, after that have to wait another 4 weeks because of chinese new year, after new year, still didnt arrive due to alibi that the unit was mistakenly sent to someone, will get another higher model....finally arrive april so tehnically thats more than 90 days (this should be the max days you should contact ebay to make a complain) upgraded model, but a second hand repaired one without the remote control....contacted vendor again, never replied up to this day....contacted ebay, nothing they can do because its more than 90 DAYS...moreal lesson just go to your local shop....95% safe.......

Collapse -
It doesn't work in my Region! (MiddleEast)
by Zonkle / April 5, 2005 6:51 AM PDT

Hi,

I really wanted to participate in eBay, but the fact that PayPal doesn't have our region (MiddleEast) included took my chances from making action in eBay Sad
So that's why.

Maybe in the future CNet polls takes in count that there are a lot of people watching these Polls and news from outside USA Happy

Thanks.

Collapse -
It's too complicated
by bvanb / April 5, 2005 10:34 AM PDT

Haven't figured the catch 22. How do you get a good rating if you haven't sold anything before? It's a lot easier to pick up the newspaper and look for nearby garage sales - probably safer too!

Collapse -
Son lost $500
by rfweir / April 5, 2005 12:26 PM PDT

My son, who is now 25, had a bad experience with his ebay account. He tried to buy a laptop from someone in New York City and it turned out to be a bogus address. Even the NYC police, who tried to investigate it, could not come up with any answers. He lost over $500.

To much going on out there to trust people you don't know.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!