Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

3rd party Wii component cables

by skyhawk214 / June 30, 2008 1:18 AM PDT

I saw the React brand made component cables made for Wii. They run for $24.99. but the Nintendo ones run for $34.99. Are the React made ones as good as the Nintendo made component cables?

Thanks gamers!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3rd party Wii component cables
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3rd party Wii component cables
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably
by Jimmy Greystone / June 30, 2008 4:54 AM PDT

Probably not only as good, but better. The extra $10 is for the Nintendo brand name and logo. It's like how you can buy Bayer asprin in bottles of 100 for about $5, or you can buy generic asprin in bottles of 100 for maybe a dollar. Just like the generic asprin, it was probably made in the same plant as the Bayer asprin. One batch may get put into the generic bottles, another batch into the Bayer bottles. Same deal with the cables. Odds are, they're all made by the same company, only one batch will get put into the box with the Nintendo label on it, and sold for $35, and another batch will be put into the React box and sold for $25.

Collapse -
Fantastic!
by skyhawk214 / June 30, 2008 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably

Great! Thanks! I think I'll go with the 3rd party ones. Can you return cables once they've been opened?

Collapse -
Depends on the store
by Jimmy Greystone / June 30, 2008 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Fantastic!

Depends on the store whether or not you can take back open cables. My guess would be probably, but it really depends on the store, and you're most likely only going to get store credit, not cash back.

Collapse -
Fantastic!
by skyhawk214 / June 30, 2008 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends on the store

Fantastic! Thanks man! I can't wait until my Wii returns from being repaired.

Collapse -
So why pay more?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 1:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Probably not...
by BeeboMD / July 3, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

If it's that much cheaper then your probably not gonna get as good quality cables as you would with a Nintendo product.

Collapse -
More expensive doesn't always mean better
by Jimmy Greystone / July 3, 2008 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably not...

More expensive doesn't always mean better. One of the best examples is over the counter pain killers like asprin. You can buy the name brand stuff or the generic, and they will both be equally effective. They both have the exact same chemical composition when broken down by your digestive system. When you pay extra for the brand name stuff, all you're really paying for is the fancy packaging. Bayer asprin is no more or less effective than some generic no-name asprin. They were probably even made in the same plant.

So unless you have a very high end TV, and are absolutely obsessed with getting the best possible quality image possible, the $8 cables Bob found will probably do just fine. In fact, I'd be willing to bet most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those $8 cables and some gold plated $100+ Monster cables. In any case, the difference in quality will be far less than the 10X price difference.

Also, the really nice cables with the gold plating and all that, really only show their true benefit when you're talking about the amount of signal degradation over a long distance. At 6-10' it's not really going to make all that much of a difference. At 25' or longer, as the amount off energy required to push that signal from one end to the other goes up, anything that reduces the resistance encountered will be helpful.

But the important thing to take away from this, is that just because soemthing is more expensive, it doesn't automatically make it better.

Collapse -
yeah...
by skyhawk214 / July 3, 2008 2:54 AM PDT

yeah 8 bucks makes me feel skeptical.

Collapse -
Went cheap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2008 3:38 AM PDT

Works fine. Not going to pay for a name...

Collapse -
well yeah.
by skyhawk214 / July 3, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Went cheap.

well. yeah . but the Nintendo ones are gurenteed to work. so i don't know.

Collapse -
Cables are cables
by Jimmy Greystone / July 3, 2008 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: well yeah.

Cables are cables in the end. I've bought some real cheap sets of cables for the PS2 and GameCube in the past... Never had a problem with them, they work just fine. I bet if I compared them to some high end cables that cost 5-10X more, I wouldn't be able to see much, if any, of a difference.

Collapse -
I chose some
by skyhawk214 / July 4, 2008 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Cables are cables

I went with the React ones.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.