Phones forum

General discussion

3G Differences

In an Cnet video about the Motorola Rizr Z10, the guy says that it will not work on 3G networks in the United States because it uses European 3G bounce. I have no idea what this means. What is the difference between the US and Europe's 3G networks? I know the phone supports HSDPA 2100......do no US carriers support this? T-Mobile? I have searched googled every search combo I can think of but cannot find helpful information on this topic.

Bottom line is that I wan to get this phone with T-Mobile [there is a t-mobile booth here that sells unlocked phones WITH the discount with new service, and says that he can get me the Z10 in a few weeks. I just want to know if it will still support T-Mobiles 3G, as well as other US features.

It is Quad-Band, so that isn't a problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3G Differences
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3G Differences
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
US uses different radio bands

In reply to: 3G Differences

All of the US 3G carriers use different radio bands than the europeans do. I believe AT&T uses 1900, but I am not completely sure. What I do know, however, is the two bands aren't compatible, and that no US carrier uses Euro bands (Maybe because of the FCC?).

Collapse -
3G

In reply to: US uses different radio bands

T-mobile has only introduced 3G in select markets using the 1700 mhz frequency. Yes At&t broadcasts 3G on 1900 mhz but not likely T-mobile will allow access to that network.

Collapse -
different bands in Europe

In reply to: US uses different radio bands

Hi, my understanding is that the frequencies globally are split into 3 regions, not sure of the details as this is something I learnt 30 years ago. What this means in effect that band allocations in the US are controlled by the FCC and here in Europe by another (possibly more global) organisation. This means that frequency bands don't always match up.

Collapse -
Search Around

In reply to: different bands in Europe

I have a feeling that the organization in europe is a derivative of the EU. 1700 sounds more likely, i think 1900 is a voice band. Otherwise, there are very few phones that have both euro-spec and US-spec 3G. I haven't heard of any phone that has both euro and US, but the Blakjack 2 has Asian and US.

Collapse -
Actually

In reply to: Search Around

I believe phones you two different frequencies
One for incoming traffic and another for outgoing
I think T-mobile will be 1700/2100 I'm really not sure though
So the phone you want to work on T-mo's 3G network will have to have both those frequencies

Collapse -
3G

In reply to: Actually

Currently the 2100mhz data/3G frequency is not used in the US, I believe it is used exclusively in Asia (Japan primarily).

Collapse -
European vs. US frequency bands

In reply to: 3G Differences

European 3G bands differ significantly from US 3G bands.
A Quad-Band phone refers to the support for the four bands used by wireless mobile carriers around the world (GSM 850 900 1800 1900).
A Tri-Band 3G phone refers to the support for the three bands used by 3G capable wireless mobile carriers around the world (HSDPA/UMTS 850 1900 2100).
As far as I know, T-Mobile has not fully developed a 3G network, so you will only benefit from the EDGE data speeds available for the time being; therefore, the support for the European HSDPA 2100 band the Motorola RIZR Z10 is capable of supporting will not make it capable of supporting US 3G bands.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.