PC Hardware forum

General discussion

3D Rendering: Vital Components

by demon0 / March 18, 2005 5:01 AM PST

A client of mine does 3D rendering freelance work from home. He does not do any animation, but makes minimally-textured 3D models of projects that construction companies and other firms will build. The only problem is that his home computer, as opposed to his work computer, does not have the performance he is looking for.

The computer currently has a 1.8ghz Pentium 4 processor, 512MB of Ram, and a 64MB Video card (I don't know which brand or kind). What I am wondering is what PC components (memory, video card, processor, etc.) should I upgrade for him to get the best performance. I would like to stay away from processor upgrades as they will be too costly for his low budget, but if that is what affects performance the most then I will let him know that. Any help in this aspect will be greatly appreciated.

Rob Williams

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3D Rendering: Vital Components
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3D Rendering: Vital Components
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Graphics Card
by damasta55r / March 19, 2005 3:51 AM PST

You could upgrade the graphics card. It can be from $90-120.00. RAM is also a priority, 1 GB is recommended if you ask me.
Roger

Collapse -
Re: rendering
by John Robie / March 19, 2005 4:52 AM PST

I'm surprised he is able to do any 3D rendering with a 64MB video card. He needs to upgrade to at least a 128MB card or 256MB card with his current system, and I would suggest a Nvidia at least in the FX5700 range but higher if he can afford. And like damasta indicates, more RAM would probably help as a secondary step.

Collapse -
avoid the 5700 because...
by ozos / March 19, 2005 3:32 PM PST
In reply to: Re: rendering

they are harder and harder to find for a fair price
most on newegg are out of stock
what is in stock costs more than it should

I would suggest a 128MB or 256MB 9600XT, as they are all in stock, at most retailers, easily found, and the 9600XT currently retails in the $125-$175 range

you could always get a professional grade card
but your looking at a very expensive board there

ALSO
given that you said 1.8GHZ P4
i'm probably safe in saying the following two thigns:

A) it's a williamette
B) it's using either SDRAM or RDRAM, either way, the RAM is seriously bottle necking it (P4's like RAM bandwidth)

I would suggest a new motherboard, and dual channel DDR (1GB) but if it's a tight budget, the gfx card upgrade will give you a MUCH MORE NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE BOOST

as for a new motherboard, assuming he has a Socket 478 chip, i'd suggest the Abit VT7 with VIA's new PT880 (that is the chipset on the board)

and as for memory
i'd get PC 3200 so you can get a new 800 FSB chip in the near future, and use that with out having to upgrade RAM (if your wanting true 1:1 you want PC 1600, but PC 3200 would run fine with that system (the CPU would become the bottleneck)

Collapse -
3D Rendering to express your imagination.
by yantramforum / December 3, 2008 1:10 AM PST

Yantram, is a 3d Rendering Studio - Architectural 3D Rendering Company India offering services like 3d Rendering, Architectural 3D Renderings,Interior 3D Rendering, 3D Exterior rendering, Conceptual 3D Rendering,Photo realistic 3DRendering, Com positing 3D Rendering 3d Renders, 3d randring.

To get the above quality work you can visit our site <a href="http://3d-walkthrough-rendering.outsourcing-services-india.com/ ">http://3d-walkthrough-rendering.outsourcing-services-india.com/ </a> to have better idea about us.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.