Samsung forum

General discussion

3D HD TV and 3D blu ray player compatability

by barrypince / May 15, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

I was looking to purchase the Samsung UN55C8000 3D TV. I was wondering if there were any compatability issues if I bought a different brand of 3D Blu Ray player. For example, use a PS3 (once it receives its upgrade). Or do I need to have an exclusive Samsung 3d blu ray player to watch 3D movies on the Samsung C8000?

If I can use any 3D blu ray player, Do I need to buy the samsung shutter glasses or (ie) Sony shutter glasses. Are all active shutter glasses the same?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3D HD TV and 3D blu ray player compatability
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3D HD TV and 3D blu ray player compatability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All I know...
by RebeccaVC / May 24, 2010 5:44 AM PDT

I don't know much about it but I have friends that are buying the Samsung 3D tv but not buying the Samsung Bluray player because they plan to use their Xbox because it plays 3D. And they know a LOT about this stuff.

I have heard you have to use the Samsung glasses to view the Samsung 3D tv. However, I just googled it and read that if you wear the Panasonic glasses upside down you can view the Samsung TV in 3D, and vice versa. They swear it's not just a myth... they said it's because they each used the reverse technology. Not sure I'd want to wear the glasses upside down though. Also, they say they both will most likely eventually come up with glasses that can be used with any 3D tv.

Collapse -
3D HD TV and 3D blu ray player compatability
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 24, 2010 4:14 PM PDT

barrypince,

Thanks for your patience. I wanted to run this by some of the experts to make sure you were getting the right information.

Samsung 2010 3D TVs and 3D Blu-ray Players are compatible with all 3D TVs and 3D Blu-ray players that adhere to the Blu-ray Disc Association?s 3D Blu-ray standard. However, we recommend using both a Samsung 3D TV and Samsung 3D Blu-ray player for the optimal Samsung 3D home entertainment experience.

Samsung 2010 3D TVs work exclusively with Samsung 3D active shutter glasses, which are sold separately and widely available at authorized Samsung retailers.

I saw the comment above about turning them upside-down. It's never a dull day reading some of these theories. Grin I I don't think it'll be fun watching a 3 hour long movie wearing 3D glasses upside-down, even if it is possible, but hey, I won't judge you. Wink

Anyway, Samsung active shutter glasses are optimized for Samsung 3D TVs. At this time, there is no standard for 3D glasses and each manufacturer is delivering active shutter glasses that are optimized for their specific models of 3D TVs.

Does that answer the question?

--HDTech

Collapse -
3D compatability-Thank you
by barrypince / May 25, 2010 12:51 AM PDT

Thank you, I found this very helpful.

Collapse -
Are you saying it's not true?
by RebeccaVC / May 25, 2010 1:50 AM PDT

I did say that I wouldn't do the "upside down" thing, but are you saying it's not true? Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but it's not like I'm going on hearsay... Here is the article:

3DTV glasses brand incompatibility problem solved, there's just one catch...
Steve May - 30 April 2010 - 9:12am
The incompatibility of 3D glasses between TV brands is seen as a significant stumbling block in the take-up of domestic 3D. Not being able to take your own 3D spex around to watch sports or a movie with a friend who has a different brand of 3DTV makes little sense to anyone.

Despite the standards for Full HD 3D being rigorously defined and agreed during 2009, seemingly everyone forgot to mandate a uniform standard for Active Shutter glasses. Helpfully, though, HCC has discovered a workaround. While Samsung and Panasonic glasses are officially incompatible with each other, we?ve discovered that if you wear one pair upside down they will work with the rival brand?s set. I successfully enjoyed 3DTV on a Panasonic model with upside-down Samsung glasses, and vice versa. Admittedly it wasn?t a very comfortable experience, and you do look stupider than normal trying it, but heck, this is what we?ve all been reduced to...

Samsung R&D chief Simon Lee confirmed the bizarre fact, explaining that the implementation of polarising lenses in the eyewear has been reversed by the two brands. There may be a more sensible solution pending, though. ?I think that it?s likely that the different manufacturers will come together, possibly as early as next year, to agree a common standard for Active Shutter glasses,? he said.

http://hcc.techradar.com/blogs/team-hcc/3d-tv-glasses-incompatibility-problem-solved-theres-just-one-catch-30-04-10

Collapse -
: Are you saying it's not true?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 25, 2010 8:24 AM PDT

RebeccaVC,

I'm so sorry if my post came across that way! Nooo, I was saying that I haven't tried it, so I haven't verified it. I just found it humorous that someone discovered that wearing them upside down works.

If someone was able to get Samsung's R&D guy to make a statement, then obviously the information is out there. I'm not one to confirm or deny "official statements" anyway, but this one was a little over my head.

I'm sorry if my post missed the mark, but understand that I see a lot of information every day (some true, some not so much), and before I confirm it or acknowledge that it's true, I need to check it out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
No problem
by RebeccaVC / May 26, 2010 12:21 AM PDT

LOL! No problem. I was probably being sensitive. It's probably the outrageous prices for the glasses that are getting to me. I didn't think of how many I will have to buy to enjoy the 3D experience with family and friends. Wink

Collapse -
No problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 29, 2010 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem

RebeccaVC,

Thanks for posting back. I can appreciate that. Happy

After reading your post, I spent some time going through some of the different articles out there.

I found this article kind of interesting, and though it could still potentially work, the two 3D technologies are still significantly different (though that statement itself could be argued - and I'll be happy to yield to each person's perception). I don't know what the market will demand, or if a third-party solution would deliver "up to spec" glasses that would deliver the true colors, for instance, for all manufacturers, considering the color of the lenses vary.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/3D-TV-Samsung-Glasses-Woth-With-Panasonic-TVs-Right-Side-Up.shtml

We made ours tailored to our product, and competitors make theirs tailored to their product, and that article addresses this a little. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

That was a really good article, I thought, but I had to chuckle at the last line. "The few thousand people who own a 3D TV...." There's a lot more than a "few thousand people" who own Samsung 3D TVs, and that's just one brand. Wink

If there are any promotions that cross my desk, I'll post them here on the forum, although, I can't say if or when that might happen.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung promotion
by ben_cline / July 25, 2010 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem

If you're still interested in getting a 3D television, there's a great promo out there now. Free glasses starter kit and BluRay player (BDC6900) with the purchase of a 7000 series and up plasma or LCD. I'm trying to find promotional details, but I know on Vanns.com it says it's good until 8/14/2010.

Collapse -
Samsung 3D and PS3
by -ScreamingMonkey- / September 29, 2010 12:45 PM PDT

I've had a Samsung UN55C8000 for a of couple weeks now, and I STILL cannot get a BluRay 3D movie to play properly in 3D off of my PS3.

I am using the Samsung 3D glasses that came with my TV (free) and the copy of Monsters vs Aliens that came with the glasses. I've also tried Clash of the Titans. I've also tried the PS3 DLC game "Wipeout HD" with the "Fury" add-on. In each case, I can only see 3D on my Samsung if I use the 2D-3D simulation mode, not other two settings (up/down & left/right).

This is the only compatibility issue I've had.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?