Question

3D glasses, a rip-off????

I took
$2000 to Best Buy and was about to purchase a Samsung 3D
TV. I have
a family of 7 and found out that the TV doesn't include 3D glasses. We'll first off each pair of glasses (
cheapest ones) were $99.95. That's an
additional $700 that I do not have.
Is there anyway I can purchase a 3D TV with 7 pairs of glasses for
under $2000?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 3D glasses, a rip-off????
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 3D glasses, a rip-off????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Passive 3D

Look at an LG that has passive 3D. The Samsung uses active 3D which uses 3D glasses that have active shutters to match the TV frequency. I'm not sure, but the passive 3D glasses should be a fraction of the cost and I believe the LG sets come with two glasses.

- Collapse -
Answer
Go for LG

Hey,

- Collapse -
Answer
3D glasses, a rip-off????

You can -- depending upon the size of the tv but only with passive 3d as the other respondents advised.
The latest issue of Sound and Vision has a review of the passive 3d LG 47LW5600 (unfortunately, not posted on their web site yet) and stated that it came with 4 pairs of glasses. Additional glasses cost about $40.
You didn't say how large a screen you were interested in and, most important with passive 3d, the viewing distance from the screen. From what I've read about passive 3d this is very important.
Passive 3d is very new. Other companies like Vizio are coming out with models also.
If you're desperate for 3d, here's an early review of a LG passive 3d tv. It gets kind of technical but the bottom of the page is important
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1301662476
You may want to search out the latest issue of Sound & Vision (June/July 2011 issue) for the reivew I mentioned.

- Collapse -
Answer
3D glasses are not a rip off

I totally agree with ar_ch14. LG models have the cheapest 3D glasses. About 95% of the stores will give you 4 pairs when you buy an LG 3D TV but you can actually call their company headquarters and request more glasses for free ( sounds crazy but yea they do). So if you do plan to buy one, hold out on buying the three additional pairs and just call them.

CNET Forums