Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

3D Design

by kishoor / April 12, 2006 6:47 PM PDT

Hi
I'm interested in learning how to create 3D animations (as a hobby - it has nothingh to do with my job). The best I could find, the standard software suitable is Autodesk Maya, and Adobe After Effects (perhaps alongside Adobe Illustrator). Which one should I chose, is there any other software that will do the job, and what are the differences between them?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3D Design
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3D Design
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
3D Animation
by areno / April 20, 2006 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: 3D Design

Well first of all wow your thinking of awfully high end
software for a beginner. For starting out I would recommend you check out some of the 3d forums on the net and try out some of the free software that's available sometimes you can get free older versions with Computer Arts or 3D world magazines.

Can't really compair your software choices: Maya is for building and animating 3d models and After effects is a Motion Graphics and Compositing tool for video.

Collapse -
Not really comparable...
by ScarBoro55-tv / April 20, 2006 11:41 PM PDT

The choices of software you mention are for different tasks, so comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. Also, if you are just starting out, you had better be ready for a steep learning curve... Maya is really not for the uninitiated. But fortunately, most of the high end 3d packages have free demos you can try. I would give them a shot before making a choice, and it will also give you a good feel for the complexity.

The three packages I would try (for high end) are: 3D Studio Max; Lightwave 3D; and Maya. Each one of these are very powerful and will satisfy every 3d task. They all do pretty much the same things, and each has certain strengths and weaknesses. One of the things to consider is the strength of the scripting language and the availability of (and quality of) plug-in's. Each one of these are very popular with CGA's, so there will be an extensive online support community.

I have run through most of the 3d apps out there, and 3D Max is the only one that has stayed on my hard drive. This is completely subjective, though, and there are plenty of designers out there with preferences for other apps. It is just a matter of personnal preference because all the top apps can do the same tricks... some easier than others.

good luck, and welcome to CG.
Steve

Collapse -
If you want to save some money...
by raoulleon / April 21, 2006 9:27 AM PDT

Poser & DAZ Bryce 5.5 both animate beautifully with much diversication. Poser mainly does people and Bryce, landscapes, but they can work together. They are quite popular. I have both, including DAZ Studio (free) and Mimic (which adds sound to talking characters & also is interchangeable).

Hope this helps! Happy

Collapse -
If you want to save some money..
by seenodeer65 / May 18, 2006 11:00 AM PDT

If you have a very very new giant graphics card or 2 Daz is great!I could never get Daz to stay open, it always froze up on me, never got to use it.Would have love to have tried it. They are some nice graphic makers.

Collapse -
Animations
by BrianO5 / April 22, 2006 5:36 AM PDT

When you talk about creating animations you need to have a basic knowledge of the programe in mind, with Adobe you have to be able to follow a written guide, if you have never used an animation programe before do not try to do it alone, you are just wasting your time and money, i know, i did it. Then i found a programe called Combustion 3, unlike Adobe, Combustion 3 had 8 two hour video tutorials with the programe, the tutor is the person that created the programe, he tells you all about the programe, and i mean all about it, as well as teaching you how to make Animations and more, it is a different world and you should be prepaired for a lot of hard work, but hard work with someone showing you how and what to do. Combustion 3 is expensive, last year on the internet it cost over

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.