Samsung forum

Question

3D Blu-ray Samsung E-5900

by aegeis2 / December 29, 2017 2:35 AM PST

My 3D Blu-ray Samsung E-5900 refuses to read a licensed 3D Blu-ray disc (says "unknown file format"), although the disc is written in standard format (BDMV folder with STREAM and SSIF subfolders, .m2ts and .ssif files; UDF 2.50 file system). What can be the cause? The User Manual states that 3D Blu-ray disc type is compatible; can it be misleading?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3D Blu-ray Samsung E-5900
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3D Blu-ray Samsung E-5900
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I have to ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2018 9:13 AM PST

Are you manually creating a BR title and disc?

Way back when folk would try to build a VideoDVD by making folders and stuffing files into "the right folders" and then complain it didn't work. Even I tried that and after a few lost sessions moved to video media creation tools. Examples would be Sony Vegas or Final Cut Pro HD.

Good luck in getting Samsung to answer since I've yet to find any maker to help sort out user created media.

Nod to using tools that create the discs.

Collapse -
Read the post you respond to
by aegeis2 / January 6, 2018 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: I have to ask.

I wrote "a licensed 3D Blu-ray disc". It means it was bought, not user created. See details in the post "Response from Samsung".

Collapse -
It's all in the words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2018 11:28 AM PST

When folk write "licensed title" and dive into the files and more I am left to guess what that meant. As I did create titles I can kick that around a little.

Now if you wrote "Titanic III - Conspiracy Theories." that you bought and won't play NOW I can talk about title issues.

That is something of a BIG DEAL in BD titles. When a title doesn't play and it's a commercial title we have to report the non-playing title so Samsung can respond with these or other replies. These are typical:
a. Tell you to install new firmware.
b. Tell you "we are working on it."
c. Tell you "that model is discontinued and we will not be updating."

Now that I get that this is a commercial title the failure so far has been the content protection and never the decoding. When you stepped into decoding issues along with "licensed title" I thought you were creating, burning your own media.

-> No problem for me. Just sharing where you lead me.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Test the media on another player.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2017 10:11 AM PST

But there's a problem looming here. I've yet to see any maker offer support for user made media. Mostly because they can't know if the disc is made right or the other issues.

I don't expect Samsung to step up here.

The other common issue is laser aging. They dim over time and you see them start to drop out on recorded media first. If out of warranty, repair is more than a new player.

Collapse -
Sorry. Forgot to specify what other player.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2017 10:15 AM PST

It can't be a PC since a PC can decode more than a stock BD player. If you call in and tell them "it works on my PC" they might respond the player is not a PC. Not to upset you but at least you are prepared.

I also forgot to mention to see if the player firmware is current.

Collapse -
The question wasn't about the disc quality
by aegeis2 / January 3, 2018 2:56 AM PST

Trying the disc on another player has nothing to do with the question. The player works fine with all formats except 3D Blu-ray; the disc was checked on PC. But The User Manual does not mention .m2ts and .ssif files among supported ones, although they are standard for 3D Blu-ray discs. Then, 3D Blu-ray format could be mentioned misleadingly, only to boost sales. So I expected that Samsung representative on the forum would elucidate the question.

Collapse -
To get a response from Samsung
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2018 8:25 AM PST

Just make the call. Here it's 800SAMSUNG and if another country find them at samsung.com

Be prepared to be upset. That is, no maker I know of will directly support user created media or content. It's left to us to figure it out.

It's a shame you think that the another player test has nothing to do with the issue. I've only been making content and media for decades and willing to share but once in a while a member gets upset and clams up or burns down.

Collapse -
Response from Samsung
by aegeis2 / January 5, 2018 2:19 AM PST

The first thing I did was addressing Samsung local service. The question was simple: does E-5900 support .m2ts and .ssif files, or does not. The facts behind the question were: the User Manual says the player supports 3D Blu-ray discs (m2ts and ssif are their standard format); but m2ts and ssif are not mentioned among supported files, and the player cannot read a *licensed* (not user created) 3D disc.
The answer was that all their knowledge comes from the same User Manual, so they are no more informed than I am. All attempts to contact Samsung head office are thwarted by automatic redirection to the local service.
So I repeat the question for the Samsung representative on this forum: does E-5900 support .m2ts and .ssif files, or does not?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!