Computer Help forum

General discussion

3Com Ethernet Switch Configuration Help.

by bean_mrbean / November 17, 2003 10:08 PM PST

I have two 3Com Linkswitch ethernet switches (models 3000 and 1000) and am needing to learn how to configure the VLan capabilities of them. I simply want to use them as ethernet hubs really. I also want to know how to use the 1000's MDIX downlink port to be connected to a cable modem. I have the users manual for the 1000, but not for the 3000. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3Com Ethernet Switch Configuration Help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3Com Ethernet Switch Configuration Help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
INVALID AND DANGEROUS CONFIGURATION.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2003 10:13 PM PST

Do try http://www.3com.com to obtain the manuals. Since I don't own such a device, I would go there.

In closing you write " I also want to know how to use the 1000's MDIX downlink port to be connected to a cable modem." to which I respond that as far as I know, this is an INVALID AND DANGEROUS CONFIGURATION. The 1000 is not a NAT CAPABLE ROUTER and you will be exposing all the machines on the network directly to the internet.

DO NOT DO THIS. Go get some Linksys NAT capable router and use this inbetween the cable modem and your network.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:INVALID AND DANGEROUS CONFIGURATION.
by bean_mrbean / November 17, 2003 10:23 PM PST

So what if I run my cable modem through my PC (w/ good firewall) and then to the downlink port?

Collapse -
Your choice on the matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2003 10:31 PM PST

But most PC based firewalls are what I call "walled gardens" or "proprietary."

Zone Alarm is a good example since many note it. In short, they don't have an open document about what it does or the rules it uses. It would be a poor comparison to what a current Linux box would afford.

The Linksys NAT capable router would afford a cheap, well known effect.

In the end, your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Your choice on the matter.-> new topic
by bean_mrbean / November 17, 2003 10:42 PM PST

OK, lets forget the internet issue.
Next question as stated in another related post under this thread...
Can I use the Switch as a lan backbone?

Collapse -
Re:3Com Ethernet Switch - My System
by bean_mrbean / November 17, 2003 10:32 PM PST

I am running Win XP Pro/AMD 850Mhz/512 RAM/Geforce2 Ti 64mb video card/10/100 card(duh)
I have the manual from 3Com for the Linkswitch 1000, and it is greek to me mostly, the manual for the 3000 I cannot find anywhere! I need to know if I can use the switches for a LAN "backbone" (I hope I am using the correct terminology) primarily for use at LAN parties.
Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Re:3Com Ethernet Switch - My System
by bean_mrbean / November 17, 2003 10:42 PM PST

I am running Win XP Pro/AMD 850Mhz/512 RAM/Geforce2 Ti 64mb video card/10/100 card(duh)
I have the manual from 3Com for the Linkswitch 1000, and it is greek to me mostly, the manual for the 3000 I cannot find anywhere! I need to know if I can use the switches for a LAN "backbone" (I hope I am using the correct terminology) primarily for use at LAN parties.
Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Stop trying to find it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2003 12:22 AM PST

Pick up the phone and call them to locate the manual.

As to the greek language, I agree that the better routers with route tables, rules and more will be daunting to learn. 3Com, Cisco and others offered courses in how to program and administrate their boxes. You can find heavy books on such too.

I can't convey such knowledge in this space, but can tell you where it is since I've been to the courses.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:3Com Linkswitch 3000 manual, check here
by jonah jones / November 18, 2003 12:38 AM PST
Collapse -
Maybe a re-wind will help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2003 1:01 AM PST

Those chunks of hardware are showing up all over. People are pulling them out of internet-dot-bomb sites and then people ask questions like yours.

Maybe it would be a lot cheaper to just tell what you are trying to do?

Linksys box is all of 50 bucks or less. 10/100 switches with more ports are a fraction of the money that the 1000/3000 box sold for.

The question I have is this:

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO BUILD?

Bob

Collapse -
This is what I was trying to build.
by bean_mrbean / July 24, 2006 11:35 AM PDT

I found out that one of the switches, the 1000,is only 10base T not 10/100. I was using to connect 10 or so PC's then to a Linksys firewall router for internet through a cable modem. It workd, and I neer had any problems. I never used the 3000, but I think it waws actually 10/100.
I now use a combo of the linksys firewall router and a WRT54G wireless router, and everything works great.
Anyone want a rack mount 3com switch in the bay area?

Collapse -
3com 4210-26 configuration problem
by mhaseebullah / May 6, 2010 5:05 PM PDT

hello community,

I have some 3com 4210-26 model switches, i have successfully configured them but when try to configure 802.1x radius authentication it fails every client. can any one give copy of cnfiguration file so i will match with my config file to resolve the issue?

Collapse -
3com has support lines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2010 8:33 PM PDT

For more advanced issues like this, just call up 3com. Their numbers are at 3com.com
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.