Question

360 Security

I downloaded this software as a free version. I decided I didn't care for it and tried to uninstall it. I used my uninstall feature but it remained - I then tried ReVo uninstaller and I was denied access - I finally just went into my C drive to delete and I receive message that I need administrators permission - Silly me I thought I was the only single administrator - I have emailed the company numerous times and they only outline what steps I have already taken - I want this off my PC as it runs from time to time. Help !!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 360 Security
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 360 Security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
This appears to be that rogue Total Security.

While https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-total-security may do the removal, let's get into that denied access.

You may be the admin but even the admin must obey file and folder permissions. IOW, no god mode here.

So what to do? There are a few ways to delete such. I like to boot Safe Mode and try that first (too easy not to try.) And if it fails in safe mode, while in safe mode I look at the file, folder permissions and change them to allow me to delete. Here's a tutorial: https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2808-take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8-a.html

- Collapse -
Answer
Uninstall

Try the methods Robert described first.
If you can't make a go of it boot up a copy of linux and toss the file/folder.

I use Ccleaner and it shows me the startup items and where their starting from.
It also shows me scheduled task.
I can enable/disable or toss the item.
One stop shopping.

CNET Forums