TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

360/PS3 Surround Sound Question

by db1720 / July 31, 2007 1:48 AM PDT

Hi,

I recently bought a PS3, 360, and a new HDTV (32 in Sharp Aquos, the one with 1080p) as well as previously having a Bose Lifestyle 28 surround sound system. I was looking for a way to hook my PS3 and 360 up to the surround sound system, and was told that a digital optical cable would be the best route to take. Both the PS3 and 360 are connected to the tv using HDMI, but my Bose receiver does not have HDMI inputs. However, when I connect my 360 and PS3 to the Bose receiver using the optical cable, it will still not output on the 5 speakers, only the tv puts out sound. Do you guys have any advice as to how I can make this work? Sorry for the long explanation, but I really do not know what I'm doing here, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 360/PS3 Surround Sound Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 360/PS3 Surround Sound Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
console settings
by bevillan / July 31, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

I don't have the 360 Elite or of the PS3, but you should look into the console settings for audio/video. You should be able to tell it to output via digital optical audio instead of sending the audio signal via HDMI.

Collapse -
Don't know about 360 but...
by ks321 / July 31, 2007 1:56 AM PDT

For the PS3, you have to go to setting, then audio settings, the choose either HDMI, RCA, and the one you wan't, the optical out. I'm pretty sure that the XBox might something similar.

Collapse -
Cables
by db1720 / July 31, 2007 2:02 AM PDT

As far as connecting the cables, would it be best to hook the optical cable from the receiver to the tv? Then would anything hooked up to the tv output sound through the receiver? My receiver has only one optical in, and my tv one optical out, so hooking up the PS3 and 360 would require switching cables each time one was in use until I could find a optical splitter.

Collapse -
Probably not.
by tadam1080 / July 31, 2007 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Cables
Collapse -
Clarification
by db1720 / July 31, 2007 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably not.

I'm sorry, my receiver port says "optical out"...does that mean I can't get any surround sound using optical cables? I'm sorry for being so uninformed, but I am new to the home entertainment field. Also, I hooked my PS3 up to the receiver to go into the settings and change it to optical, and when I did, I would get no sound. Any more info on this? Thanks again.

Collapse -
Receiver
by db1720 / July 31, 2007 3:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
1 input
by bevillan / July 31, 2007 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Receiver

Well your receiver has only 1 optical input so after you get the console settings to output audio via optical audio, then you will have to either buy a optical audio input switcher (separate unit that lets you choose between which input you want to use) or just plug-in the cable for the certain console that you want to play at the moment, and switch cables when you switch consoles

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?