Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

320GB drive in 98

by mrsubway / April 21, 2009 3:06 AM PDT

My friend bought a 320GB western digital IDE drive, and wants to use it exclusively for storage. He has the 98 OS on another drive.

He wants the 320GB divided into 3 partitions. I have tried using partition magic to create 3 logical drives for him, all of even size.

If I use partition magic in Windows 98, it will let me make 2 partitions, one at the beginning of the drive, one in the middle. However, the final partition which is all the way at the end of the drive cannot be created. Partition magic gives me an error.

If I use the same version of PM in Windows XP, I can then format the drive fine with 3 FAT32 logical partitions. However, when you put the drive back in the 98 machine, it can only read/write to the first two. The partition at the end is unusable. I've tried making 3 partitions in 98 with fdisk and format, and still cannot read the final partition. Is there a way to have 3 logical drives on a 320GB drive in 98?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 320GB drive in 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 320GB drive in 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot
by mrsubway / April 21, 2009 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: 320GB drive in 98

Forgot to mention. The 98 machine's bios lists the right size. It is a Soyo 5EH5 motherboard. He's also running 98SE.

Collapse -
To understand this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2009 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: 320GB drive in 98

You can research 48 BIT LBA support for Windows 98. I'll stop here since you can now begin your research.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.